Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :wave:

I'll be picking up my puppy in roughly 3 weeks from the airport. I was wondering if you guys could share your experiences (receiving the puppy & taking home) and list at least one thing you wish you would have done differently that day/night and why? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I don't think I regret anything I did that day. But being a first time puppy owner and such it was definitely 'bring puppy home and plop it into the house.' He promptly pooped in the hallway :D So just knowing what I do now, any dog or puppy I care for in the future will definitely have a more structured life in that I am way more conscious about how many potty breaks a young dog needs and such. If I could do one thing over in general, I would have started with crate training and not paper training. Everything was fine, the transition to outside was seamless, and this isn't a true regret or anything, but it would have been easier.

Congratulations on your new one and good luck :)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Congratulations on your soon to be new addition! :)

I can say that bringing home a brand new puppy is like bringing home a new infant. You need a schedule and to stick to that schedule. It makes everything so much easier for the puppy and for you. Start the potty training immediately.

If I ever had one regret it would be to have let my puppy in my bed .... once started .... it sure is hard to stop! Lol! I now make sure the puppy has a nice homey crate to start in ... immediately!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't have anything to advise on picking up and taking home, it pretty much is what it is. Maybe a blanket for him to lay on for the ride home, if not a crate. The floor or cargo area is safer than a seat/lap. Not sure how pups normally do after a flight. I would imagine they might be a little queasy from plane and car motion, so perhaps feeding a very light snack will help when you get home, but don't be alarmed if food doesn't stay down the first time.

First couple of days are typically confined to one or two puppy proofed rooms where I can keep a constant eye on them. When I first get home I show them where the water is and then take them outside to potty and let them explore a little. Then I let them explore the confinement area and I keep lots of toys with different textures there. I also keep a crate in the confined room with toys and a few small treats to get them use to it being a positive place to relax. I like wire crates, but some do better in travel type crates. Once they go down for a nap, I put them in the crate. I also take them outside to potty every 30 minutes, when not napping, until I get a feel for their potty 'schedule', (usually changes every week). I play with their feet and ears to get them used to being touched in sensitive areas, but otherwise, play, potty, eat, potty, sleep, potty etc.

Expect at least some whining at night. I typically take them out to potty and place them back in their crate, then ignore any whining after that, unless it's a few hours after taking them out.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
I agree with the advice.

1. Depending on the age and vaccinations, take the pup to go potty, and provide some fresh water.
2. Be prepared for the pup to whine for 3 nights. Be happy if it doesn't.
3. You can try taking the pup outside to potty about every 2 hours or so in the beginning, just to get on schedule.
4. Puppy proof everything, assuming that the puppy's goal is to explore, using its teeth.
5. As soon as the puppy is ready to play - first day or second - start training.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crate training, potty training, ASAP thanks everyone! Canyx thanks for your advice, I thought about paper training but now I know lol and Abbylynn thank you for letting me know this! I was wondering if I should let the puppy sleep in bed with me haha!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts