Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the puppy 2 months ago at 8 weeks old. I've fed him only kibble since day 1. I've Never tried wetfoods and never gave him any cooked fmeals or sweets.

He loves his kibble and would go crazy at the site & smell of any kind of kibble. lol

Normally when it's feeding time. As soon as i put his bowl down he gulps it all down without chewing like a vacume cleaner and all is finished within 30 seconds.

Last week i have noticed he stopped gulping his kibble and started chewing it and has slowed down. What took 30 seconds to finish, Now takes a cpl minutes for him to eat which i was so happy about.

But....

2 days ago, I noticed when i put kibble in his bowl. He would sniff it, Eat one or two pieces of kibble and then be disinterested. I thought hmm ok maybe he doesn't like his bowl anymore so i tried putting it on a different bowl and same thing happened. I then layed the kibble on the floor and still not that interested in it except for eating one or two. I then tried to handfeed him and as soon as the Kibble was in my hand. It would go back to eating the kibble like normal once it's on my hand. I tested him to make sure he is still interested in food and started hiding kibble in my hand and he would chase my hand trying to get the kibble.

Ok so i guess he isn't sick. I know sick dogs are not interested in food at all.

I leave small amounts of kibble on tables all around my house as i use it for training. Can't be bothered carrying kibble on me all the time when i give him commands.

Anyway i have some kibble on my bedside table and last night when i put him on my bed for a cuddling session. He went straight to my bedside table. took the kibble and placed the kibble in my bed, layed down on my bed and and ate it on my bed. I am obviously not happy with this. I thought yay, it must be hungry so i put some kibble on it's bowl and again not interested. I decided to test him and put some kibble on my bed and again it ate like normal. :( Infact when i put the kibble on my bed. it started jumping up and down trying to jump in my bed but puppy is still too small to jump in my bed by itself. lol

I normally feed the puppy 3 times a day. Once every 8 hours however today it has missed two of it's meals because i refuse to give in. I don't want him to eat in my bed and i don't want him to get used to handfeeding. :( :(

I know this is a very long post but iam worried. Can anyone please please please give me advice.

My old dog used to be fed twice to 3 times a day and if not fed 2-3 times a day. It would get a bad stomach aches and get sick and not eat for 3 days until it's stomach ache clears. If i missed one meal. My old dog's stomach would not feel well. :(

I know alot of dogs are fine with eating once a day or very little in a day but since in my experience my old dog would always not feel well after missing one meal. I am now worried.

Puppy seems to be his normal self. Still playful and not showing signs of being sick

Breed is Maltese

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
It could be that his mouth hurts from teething and he started associating that pain with his dog bowl. I would continue to put food in his dog bowl and simply leave it out and let him nibble it as he sees fit.

·
Registered
801 Posts
It could be a number of things. Maybe the kibble it too hard for him and it needs to be moistened. Or maybe he's bored with eating the same food everyday. Or teething or upset stomach...

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I agree with teething - at four months most dogs are losing baby teeth and gaining adult teeth, so his mouth may be sore... so moistened food may help. I recommend against feeding on your bed, simply b/c it is a luxury that your dog may get used to :)

Moisten the food, add just a tiny drop or two of ketchup, and leave the pup alone. He should come and nibble throughout the day... In about a month or less, he should be fine. If he loses weight, or is not beginning to get better in about a week, you might call the Vet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am not sure about this in a puppy, but my adult dog started doing this same thing about a month ago. It turns out he was just bored with his food. As soon as we switched out 1/4 of his serving with a different food, he gobbled it up out of the bowl with no complaints.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts