Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little Molly will not drink water out of her water bowl. She sometimes acts like it scares her...she sniffs it and then jumps back 2 feet. Her food bowl (same design) doesn't do this. I've tried adding various additives in (raw sugar free apple juice, chicken broth, pedialyte) and it works temporarily but she'll generally decide she doesn't want it the next day. I also tried putting an ice cube in and she's not interested. The only way she drinks water is if I put it in her food bowl and she laps it up before eating her food. Which isn't terrible - at least she's getting something - but i'm worried she's not getting enough. Any tips? She's only been with us 5 days, so she's still adjusting. Maybe this will just go away?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Our Nikko is not a big water drinker at all. I always add water to his food and like your pup he will lap it right up. One of the best ways I have found to get him to drink some water is to make a little game of it. I will take one of his favorite treats or a piece of chicken or cheese and break it into small pieces. Then I bring it over to his water bowl and throw one piece at a time in his water and tell him to get it. He will then want the piece of food so he automatically has to drink a little water to get it out. Usually I play this game with him at lunch time. This way I know he is at least getting water for breakfast lunch and dinner. We also give him the enzymatic chews to help clean his teeth. Whatever they are coated with must make him thirsty as he will always go and get a drink after eating one of these. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Try something else. I had to retire a 15 year old stainless steel bowl for a plastic take away container and switch from a tall pail to a low bowl. Adding water to food is a good thing. Look up a water calculator so you are sure the dog is getting enough per day. About 1 ounce per pound is right for a medium sized dog, no idea if pups need more or less.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Make sure the bowl has been thoroughly washed and make sure the water is fresh every day. If that doesn't work, try a different bowl. If you're using plastic now, try ceramic or stainless. Dogs can be picky about what they're water is in. My dogs have two water bowls in the house and Pepper prefers one over the other. She'll even wait for me to fill up her "favorite" bowl even if the other is already full.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had friend who had a simlar issue with their pup. They realized she acted the same way when she saw her reflection in the porch door. Your pup may be seeing her reflection and scared that there js a dog in her water dish. They switched to a fountain setup. She has since grown out of jumping at hed reflection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried multiple different dishes - We tried blue plastic and white plastic and a shallow white glass plate before her actual doggy dishes came in from Amazon (she came home earlier than we expected). They are white ceramic. I also tried a stainless steel bowl once since then. Nothing is different! She has lost interest even more over the last couple days. She will lap up the water I put in with her food, so at least she's getting something. Of course, that's only at meal times though. She doesn't even want any when she comes in from running around outside and is panting. I will try the throwing a treat in her water dish and see if that makes a difference. She is still going potty every hour and shows no signs of dehydration (gums are fine and her neck skin snaps back into place) so I guess she's ok. I'll check with the vet to be sure at her appointment on Monday. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Another suggestion: quit hovering. The more you fuss over it, and the more different things you try, the more pressure you are putting on her.

I'd ask her breeder what water bowl they were using, and see if you can't get the same type. Fill it up, put it down, and walk off. If you want, measure the water when you put it in and again at the end of the day, so that you will have an actual record of how much she is drinking. Make sure you include the amount of water you put in her food in that total, so you'll need to measure that, as well.

Also, keep in mind that different dogs just drink different amounts of water. My GSD has always been a heavy drinker, while my APBT seems like she hardly drinks at all.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
She could still be adjusting too, but it's good to check with your vet. How big is she? Really small dogs don't drink very much water so maybe she is getting enough.

Maybe the water itself doesn't taste good to her. I'm assuming it's just tap water, but maybe try bottled water?

Kane used to be very sensitive about water. He wouldn't drink anything away from home, he wouldn't drink if it was in a different bowl, and he refused to drink anything one time when we had to relocate the dog dishes because we were re-doing our floor. I actually had to move it back to its old spot so he would have something to drink. He eventually got used to other sources of water and outgrew his "fear". Now he doesn't care too much, but there are still times he's picky.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Have you considered trying one of the fountains with moving water? Both of my dogs love those. My AKK isn't a big drinker, either (I put water in his food, as well), but when we visit a friend who has one of those, he runs right to it. Maybe you could test one out at someone else's home before investing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts