Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I have a 3 1/2 month puppy from a shelter. We got him four days ago. I know puppies need lots of sleep. We crate him at night because we are still working on potty training (I get up at 1am,3am,5:20am before work to let him out). It seems he doesn’t sleep when he’s in there, and he is lathargic during the day, some play but not like I know puppies usually are. I try to occupy him when I get home so he sleeps at night but he always ends up lounging around and sleeping around dinner time.

His schedule is totally messed up, he hasn’t been eating after lunchtime, I softened his food lastnight to see if that would get him - he only ate a little.

He appears to be a happy dog, but very timid. He doesn’t understand walks, I have to pick him up and put him on the sidewalk to get him started and he usually will only get a few houses down to the neighbors dog before he wants to go back.

Should I take away the food when I crate him for the night until my fiancé gives him breakfast at 7:30? Should I try harder to keep him awake in the afternoon so he may sleep at night?

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: Puppy won’t sleep at night?

First, you should be feeding the dog a set amount of food, split into three meals. Put the food down for 15 minutes, remove it if the dog has not eaten until the next meal time. A full belly means a sleepy puppy and, puppies do sleep a lot but at 3 1/2 months, about 14 weeks, they should be awake for a total of 6-10 hours out of 24 hours.

Do NOT feed him at night in the crate. Give him a couple of toys in there but no food or water unless it's very hot, then he does need water.

Placing the crate in your bedroom may help as well, so that he can see that you sleep at night and, adjust to your schedule.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

Hi all. I have a 3 1/2 month puppy from a shelter. We got him four days ago. I know puppies need lots of sleep. We crate him at night because we are still working on potty training (I get up at 1am,3am,5:20am before work to let him out). It seems he doesn’t sleep when he’s in there, and he is lathargic during the day, some play but not like I know puppies usually are. I try to occupy him when I get home so he sleeps at night but he always ends up lounging around and sleeping around dinner time.

His schedule is totally messed up, he hasn’t been eating after lunchtime, I softened his food lastnight to see if that would get him - he only ate a little.

He appears to be a happy dog, but very timid. He doesn’t understand walks, I have to pick him up and put him on the sidewalk to get him started and he usually will only get a few houses down to the neighbors dog before he wants to go back.

Should I take away the food when I crate him for the night until my fiancé gives him breakfast at 7:30? Should I try harder to keep him awake in the afternoon so he may sleep at night?
What makes you think he doesn't sleep? Barking and whining?

It is unusual for a puppy to be lethargic and not want to eat. I would be taking him to the vet ASAP. He may just be stressed from being taken from his litter, but better safe than sorry.

Also, is he completely done with all puppy vaccinations? If not, you should not take him for walks. They can pick up diseases that way, as the vaccinations have not had time to "take." Consult your vet on that, as well. Letting him out in your yard where you know no unvaccinated dogs have been is okay, you just can't let him out were you can't control who comes and goes, such as a public sidewalk. Diseases like Parvo can live in the ground for up to a year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
He is UTD on all shots currently, he’s even chipped. He just got fixed on the 23rd. He is due for another distemper shot soon I believe. He does not bark or whine at night, but every time I go downstairs to let him out he is already up and waiting for me. I have a vet appointment for 2 weeks from now, if he gets worse I was told to call back and they would squeeze him in. I think he just doesn’t like his food, his diet in the shelter was inconsistent due to the fact that they feed the animals donations. He also has had diarrhea for two days now as well(the shelter mentioned they knew about this issue) which is a little alarming combined with everything else. He has not vomited yet. Should I try getting him different food? I haven’t done research on what brands are good that are also actually liked. Right now we are giving him science diet by hills. The healthy development, small bites, puppy <1.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Science Diet has a lot of corn in it, for a dog, that's just a filler, virtually no nutrition at all. Try something that doesn't have corn and, has meat or meat meal as the first 3 ingredients. With soft stool issues, something with pumpkin in it or offering a couple of tablespoons of solid pack (pure pumpkin, not pie filling) with meals often helps and, I have yet to meet a dog that doesn't like pumpkin.

Just because the puppy is awake before you doesn't mean he isn't sleeping but, lethargy is a worry if he's sleeping more than 5-18 hours a day. Puppies sleep a lot, some breeds more than others. If he's happy and active when he is awake, then, probably not a problem, if he seems to lack energy all of the time, then your vet needs to help you figure out what's wrong with him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He vomited twice in an hour just now, I will be taking him to the shelter for a free checkup with their in house vet first thing in the morning, and most likely his vet he’s scheduled for on July 12th as an emergency visit if the shelter vet isn’t much help. There is no blood in his stool - still having diarrhea.

Hanging out with him for the night until we can get him some help in the morning. The 24h vets here are unreasonably priced. I have only had him for 4 days, all the signs are showing the shelter sold me an unhealthy puppy, when the paperwork says he should be UTD on everything and at least in decent health.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

Unfortunately, 24-hour emergency clinic do have to charge higher prices. They have full staff on 24-7 to pay, expensive equipment (and the utilities cost to maintain it), and many emergencies require expensive medication, IVs, or other supplies for proper treatment. They're basically small hospitals, only without any kind of government funding or support. Even with most vets being criminally underpaid given their skills (not to mention their student loans), it all adds up. I believe it's part of the reason why pet insurance is becoming more popular.

It does sound like there's an underlying medical issue with your pup. Hope the vet can clear it up soon. Just remember that dehydration can be really dangerous in a young puppy with vomiting and diarrhea, so keep a close eye on things and know that emergency clinic is there if you really can't wait.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

He vomited twice in an hour just now, I will be taking him to the shelter for a free checkup with their in house vet first thing in the morning, and most likely his vet he’s scheduled for on July 12th as an emergency visit if the shelter vet isn’t much help. There is no blood in his stool - still having diarrhea.

Hanging out with him for the night until we can get him some help in the morning. The 24h vets here are unreasonably priced. I have only had him for 4 days, all the signs are showing the shelter sold me an unhealthy puppy, when the paperwork says he should be UTD on everything and at least in decent health.
He might be UTD on everything, but he's not really safe until after his last round of vaccines, which it sounds like you haven't gotten yet. There's a chance he could have picked something up even if he's current on vaccines. Considering that he came from a shelter where its very possible he could have picked something up (incubation period for parvo is something like 3-7 days), and that he's been out on the ground in public, I would be taking him to the vet immediately. If you live in an area where it doesn't get cold enough to kill the virus every winter (think southern US states), parvo is a very, very real risk, and I would be even more cautious.

Also, while you're figuring this out, don't let him near any other unvaccinated dogs or puppies.

I really hope its nothing but digestive upset and nothing serious. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ty for the replies, we have a vet appointment for him in an hour now, they are going to check him for Parvo first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He was given a full checkup and has kennel cough at the moment, no Parvo no worms etc. He was eating hard food at the shelter but we think he didn’t like it and thats why he’s starving himself along with the loss of appetite from the cough.

We were given two dewormers, medicine to make the kennel cough go away and also medicine for if he actually starts coughing from it (hasn’t yet).

We are going to switch from hard food to a mix of soft canned food and hard food together each meal session. Any recommendations for soft food? He is a medium sized breed @ 3 1/2 months old.

We were planning science diet soft & science diet hard because we know it’s decent. We won’t give him .90 cent cans that have no nutritional value but can’t afford $3 cans for best of the best.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Science Diet kibble is a lot of corn, no value to the dog. I'd suggest a higher quality Kibble like Pure Balance Grain Free - it's the premium Wal Mart Brand, easily found and, not overly expensive. Then go with something like Alpo for the canned. Use about 1/4 of a can mixed in warm water to make a gravy for the kibble.

that makes most of his diet a good quality kibble and, the canned really isn't that important since it's just a topper to entice him to eat the kibble.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

He was given a full checkup and has kennel cough at the moment, no Parvo no worms etc. He was eating hard food at the shelter but we think he didn’t like it and thats why he’s starving himself along with the loss of appetite from the cough.

We were given two dewormers, medicine to make the kennel cough go away and also medicine for if he actually starts coughing from it (hasn’t yet).

We are going to switch from hard food to a mix of soft canned food and hard food together each meal session. Any recommendations for soft food? He is a medium sized breed @ 3 1/2 months old.

We were planning science diet soft & science diet hard because we know it’s decent. We won’t give him .90 cent cans that have no nutritional value but can’t afford $3 cans for best of the best.
Well, that's a good outcome considering!

I've been using Nutro canned food as a KONG stuffer for my dog. I'm currently using the Nutro Adult Hearty Stews Lamb & Rice Stew Chunks in Gravy kind. On Chewy.com they sell packs of 12, 12.5oz cans for $21.49, which comes out to about $1.79 per can. I split an entire can between 4 large KONGS, so it lasts a while. I like it because it has large chunks of meat and not that terribly much gravy (and what it has is pretty thick).

If you're just using the wet food as a topper, you can probably get at least 3-5 days out of each can, so it won't turn out to be that terribly expensive.They also sell a number of puppy specific foods, but it really doesn't matter that much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We got the pure balance grain free chicken & pea recipe and crave brand soft food, and a new toy ?. Thanks for the recommendations. We will see how he likes his new food tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update for anyone wondering:

He has been on his meds for 2 days now, on day 3. Stool is regular. He loves his new diet, cleans the bowl in less than 3 minutes. He now has energy during the day & sleeps at night (spent two days sleeping on the recliner downstairs next to his cage).

He does see his cage as comfort, gets a small treat every time he is put in for a reason other than being bad(99% of the time), lol.

He gets a solid half of a cup of dry and half of the soft food container, 3 times a day.

His name is Reese, like a Reese’s cup. We thank everyone for their input & recommendations! He is a very happy pup now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

So happy to hear he's recovering and settling in! And Reese is a great name. Hoping things get easier now that you're over this hiccup!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts