Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 mo Old GSP is very loving, but when I sit on our sofa or look at my phone, he barks loudly, growls, and “air snaps” (barely touching my skin). I’ve tried kindness and even tapping his muzzle and shouting a firm “no!” But he’s defiant. He growls and gets more intense. I don’t know why. He’s not aggressive. It’s more like intense play. Putting him in his crate to calm helps but I would like to have him with me when I’m watching TV.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Are you spending enough time wearing the dog out each day? A puppy needs plenty of fresh air and exercise every day. I would redirect that energy to a more desired behavior or take it as a sign that the puppy needs more play time, walks, fetch, training time for mental stimulation.

A tired dog is a good dog.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
He just wants attention. Some dogs are naturally chill or naturally independent and will relax around the house while you do your thing. Others are not. I have a pup (well, now an adolescent) who naturally has two settings: sound asleep, or cranked up to 11. "Tire them out" is usually good advice, and it worked with all my previous dogs, but I discovered with this pup that he, when tired, would actually get MORE amped up, like an overstimulated toddler. Obviously this made him quite the handful around the house, since he was hyper when not tired, and hyper and crazy when tired. (But pop him in a crate while in that state, and he's sound asleep in minutes.) I have learned the hard way with him that some dogs are just...extra. My hyperactive puppy would play with the other dog or by himself when I was up and physically occupied with something (e.g. washing dishes) but if I sat down for a minute, he'd be all over me, which made it impossible to do stuff like read or go on the computer without going in a different room or crating him, and obviously I don't want to crate him every time I'm going read/craft/game/go online/watch tv/etc.

Search for "sit on the dog" for an exercise in teaching a dog to settle around people. Given that your pup is only 3 mo old you may need to shorten the recommended times quite a bit. This method was a lifesaver for me. I started off feeling grateful if I got just a few minutes at a time of calm at time with my puppy, and am now up to him being able to settle next to me for about 45 minutes, long enough to read a few chapters or watch an episode of a show. I think it will get easier as he gets older, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you spending enough time wearing the dog out each day? A puppy needs plenty of fresh air and exercise every day. I would redirect that energy to a more desired behavior or take it as a sign that the puppy needs more play time, walks, fetch, training time for mental stimulation.

A tired dog is a good dog.
Hi! You’re so right. My pup is a German short hair and energy is his game. We put our 10,000 steps in every day walking and running him. We’ll let him sprint in the field and take him on 20-30 min walks. We also play fetch.
It’s always when he’s over tired. He’ll do this ten minutes before he passes out. Typical toddler!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
As Parus said, it's likely a bid for attention. Any attention is good attention in this case, even discipline. Ignore, or crate if you need to. My dog was an absolute nightmare with this, always wanting attention and being a pain if he didn't get it. Barked incessantly whenever we would sit down to eat for weeks after we first brought him home (he was a 6 month old rescue). We ignored him, never ever giving him attention unless it was on our terms.

Today, he knows barking and crying and being a pain will not get him what he wants, but calmness and being cute will, haha!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As Parus said, it's likely a bid for attention. Any attention is good attention in this case, even discipline. Ignore, or crate if you need to. My dog was an absolute nightmare with this, always wanting attention and being a pain if he didn't get it. Barked incessantly whenever we would sit down to eat for weeks after we first brought him home (he was a 6 month old rescue). We ignored him, never ever giving him attention unless it was on our terms.

Today, he knows barking and crying and being a pain will not get him what he wants, but calmness and being cute will, haha!
I lov

1 - 7 of 7 Posts