Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have successfully trained 2 large, active dogs to be nice to a rabbit (not sure about ducks!). One dog was an adult and initially wanted to eat the rabbit, the other was a puppy who was just too boisterous trying to play with it. They both are now able to lay calmly and watch or ignore the bunny shenanigans. BUT, I NEVER leave them alone with the bunny, and they know the difference between our bunny friend and wild bunnies...with wild bunnies, all bets are off. Our third dog, a sweet little cavalier, would never hurt a fly. He has been incredibly gentle with every living thing ever since we brought him home at 9 weeks. With your "free roam" situation I'd be very careful adding a dog, and have a backup plan if things go south. I would trust our cavalier alone with small animals, but never would trust our big dogs. I'm sure it depends on the individual dog, but steer clear of terriers and terrier mixes for sure. They like to kill small furry things.

(I'm not necessarily recommending a cavalier unless you are willing to seek out a very responsible breeder and be prepared for many potential health issues...although they are the sweetest little dogs!)

I had a black lab as a kid who became a surrogate mother for 3 ducklings...it was adorable, she would lead them around the yard, and they would follow her and stick to her like glue! The dog was always super gentle with her "babies," but I'm not sure that's typical for hunting breeds.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.