Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there guys! We ended purchasing this pit puppy from a cragislist seller (I know adopting is better, but we can't find pups 8 weeks old). Anyway, we were told Waffle (that's what we named her) had all her first set of shots and dewormed on paper. We met up with the guy just to find out it was a 6 Week old pup and half the size she was supposed to be at that age, also with no paperwork whatsoever, just a weak, sick pup. Of course we couldn't just leave her with the negligent owner so we purchased her for 200$ plus another $175 for food and toys. We took her home to observe what she had, so we later at night took her straight to the vet (yesterday) after she had diarrhea all day, seemed very feeble and wouldn't eat or drink. She tested positive for Parvo, hookworms, roundworms, and tapeworms. We were told the bill was going to be $4000! So we talked to the vet and decided our best option was to do the home treatment so we were given antibiotic, dewormer, anti-nausea medication (even though waffle hasn't thrown up ever since we got her) Whole bill costed about $400. After we got home later at night, she was starting to feel better, playing, exploring, and today even better! She's eating on her own, drinking too, just when she wants hehe. But still has greenish diarrhea. We've been hydrating her with low sodium chicken broth, water, and pedialyte every hour (as we were told). I just wanted to ask if anyone has treated their pup with Parvo at home, and if so, how did it go? What did you do differently, any advice? ect. I'm just trying to get this puppy happy and healthy, hopefully she pulls through! Any input would be appreciated! Sorry for my crappy writing I have been up for 26 hours with finals and caring for the pup.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Presuming those pictures are current, that puppy is much younger than 6 weeks (I'd say more like 3), and there is a very high probability it will die from parvo. I wish you al the best, but it really needs to be under proper 24/7 vet care.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did your vet say she actively had it still or that she has already mostly got over it, but had it in the past, so is still shedding virus and is small because of it. It normally lasts from 2 days to 2 weeks (depends on the puppy) if the puppy survives. The fact you say she is eating and drinking suggests she may have had it mainly before you got her and may be in the recovery stage rather than active infection stage. What did the vet say?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She didn't say anything about that. She's not certain, but she did do a test and she actively has it. The only symptom she has right now is diarrhea, she said if she's eating and drinking she should be okay. Can the vet know what stage it's in?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't know whether a vet can say from a single visit. I think I agree with her, that if she is eating and drinking, she will be ok unless she stops eating and drinking. In that case you will have to return to the vets. The fact she is small, would seem to indicate she probably has had it a while affecting her development and be passed the worse now, but I maybe wrong. She could just be a small dog. Parvo can last anything between 2 days and 2 months normally.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Looking at those pictures I cannot believe that puppy, no matter the breed, is six months old. It is not just the size. Does she have all her teeth?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I've heard that proper oral rehydration can be even more effective than IV hydration---it just takes a lot more time so most people would rather not. But if you're willing to put in the time, keep doing what you're doing. The most important thing is keeping her hydrated. If she stops accepting oral fluids, ask the vet for a prescription for sub-q fluids (and have the vet show you how to do it). You can buy Ringer's lactate at a human pharmacy for a reasonable price.

There are websites about treating parvo at home, see if you can find a few for more tips. It's important to work with a vet so you have access to prescription products if necessary, but at-home care can be even more effective than hospital care in many cases, if it's done right.

I agree that she doesn't look to be 6 weeks (I assume you meant weeks because a 6-month-old pup is half-grown!). Even a malnourished puppy will hit the developmental milestones and will just be smaller. I'd guess probably around 4 weeks, if she's eating mushy solid food well. What do her teeth look like?

It might be worth it to report the guy for animal neglect. With that kind of documentation from the vet, I think they'd have a pretty good case.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
she's 6 weeks! not months

I don't know whether a vet can say from a single visit. I think I agree with her, that if she is eating and drinking, she will be ok unless she stops eating and drinking. In that case you will have to return to the vets. The fact she is small, would seem to indicate she probably has had it a while affecting her development and be passed the worse now, but I maybe wrong. She could just be a small dog. Parvo can last anything between 2 days and 2 months normally.
no you're definitely right.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's day 7 ever since we got her and she made it through! We had to hydrate her using a syringe, but for the past 3 days, she's been drinking a lot by her own, she's a lot more energetic and is starting to jump and run around the place. We need to give her a second dose for the worms after new years. But i'm happy to say that the Parvo is officially gone, and she has gained about 2 pounds already! And the prick who sold us the pup is getting reported to the authorities.

Thanks for all the input guys! happy holidays

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's day 7 ever since we got her and she made it through! We had to hydrate her using a syringe, but for the past 3 days, she's been drinking a lot by her own, she's a lot more energetic and is starting to jump and run around the place. We need to give her a second dose for the worms after new years. But i'm happy to say that the Parvo is officially gone, and she has gained about 2 pounds already! And the prick who sold us the pup is getting reported to the authorities.

Thanks for all the input guys! happy holidays
Yay!!! So exciting :) super happy to hear that she's okay. I would get her into some socialization classes once your vet thinks it's safe. Being that she was separated from mum and her littermates so early and was sick, she could be at a higher risk for developing behavioral issues. Good luck! She's such a little cutie!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Poor little mite! Good on you for trying and best wishes! Sounds like she's pulling through! I don't do prayers, but fingers crossed. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for not being able to put out $4k for a puppy whose chances would otherwise be a big ZERO. Compassion should not be judged by dollars spent!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Brilliant news. Check with the vet before taking her to puppy classes though, because she could still be carrying the virus and pass it on to other puppies at the classes for a while.

Being late socializing her is not a guarantee you will struggle to later. In the UK all Guide Dog for the blind puppies leave their mums early and go straight to their "puppy walkers". They still turn out to have impeccable manners as needed to by a Guide Dog.

Al;l the best for you both over Christmas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Both my Labrador puppies just died from Parvo. It cost me thousands of dollars. I hate this virus with a passion. I would be in prison if it was a person.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You know, if she had the parvo shot shortly before you got her it would show a false positive on the test. The worms could have caused the runny stools. It would be unlikely that this young of a puppy would survive parvo and recover so quickly with in home treatment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You know, if she had the parvo shot shortly before you got her it would show a false positive on the test. The worms could have caused the runny stools. It would be unlikely that this young of a puppy would survive parvo and recover so quickly with in home treatment.
She didn't have any shots before we got her. She was only 5 weeks at that time, we were just lucky because we caught it at the beginning stages. She DID have parvo because she wasn't eating or drinking after. And the home treatment is the same treatment she would've gotten at the vets. I would rather do it myself to see if she or she doesn't make it at least she wouldn't be in a cage if it did go south. Luckily, she did pull through
IMG_3553.jpg IMG_3586.jpg 123.jpg
10 weeks now happier and cuter then ever

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you, that means a lot! we were scolded by the vet for not letting her stay overnight. But when it comes down to it, if those were (thankfully they weren't) her last moments, I rather her be with me and give her all the love and affection without her being locked in a cage. She thankfully made it through! Barely any sleep for a week it all worked out :)
IMG_3586.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts