Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week and a half ago, we noticed two little tiny spots missing hair on our 8 month old puppy's back leg. Then when the tiniest spot showed up on her nose, we took her to the vet where they scraped her and said it was demodectic mange and was really common in puppies. Instead of dipping her, they suggested using Goodwinol cream and seeing how it went. Then a few days later I left for vacation, and she stayed at home with my boyfriend who has been applying the cream generously every day. I got back on Friday morning, a little over a week since she started using the Goodwinol, and she started having diarrhea. It is straight liquid, light brown, a little greenish tint to it. This has now been going on all weekend. I took away her food and have only been feeding her chicken and rice (I read that's what I should do). It doesn't seem to help. I even tried to feed her pedialyte to keep her hydrated (didn't work). Of course I plan to take her to the vet on Monday, but because it is the weekend, I have to wait till tomorrow. I'm worried about my baby and figured I'd ask here. Is there anything I can do to help her with the diarrhea? And most importantly, has anyone ever had this kind of trouble with the Goodwinol? Is it connected?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a dog with demodex mange. From what I have read Goodwinol doesn't do anything. As your vet about ivermectin. It takes a while, but it works. It can't be used with certain herding breeds, but works for other dogs. It is the same ingredient as in Heartgard. You squirt it into the dog's mouth once a day for several weeks or even months.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I have a dog with demodex mange. From what I have read Goodwinol doesn't do anything. As your vet about ivermectin. It takes a while, but it works. It can't be used with certain herding breeds, but works for other dogs. It is the same ingredient as in Heartgard. You squirt it into the dog's mouth once a day for several weeks or even months.
What the OP is describing is LOCALIZED demodex, which Goodwinol works fine for and Ivermectin is over kill in this case.

OP, it's possible that if the pup ingests it it could upset the stomach. For now start the pup on bland diet, boiled chicken and rice with some canned pumpkin stirred in for the extra fiber. Once she's firmed up, reintroduce her food slowly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What the OP is describing is LOCALIZED demodex, which Goodwinol works fine for and Ivermectin is over kill in this case.

OP, it's possible that if the pup ingests it it could upset the stomach. For now start the pup on bland diet, boiled chicken and rice with some canned pumpkin stirred in for the extra fiber. Once she's firmed up, reintroduce her food slowly.
Thanks so much! We did catch her licking the spot after we applied the goodwinol. The rice and chicken have seemed to do the trick. Thank you :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts