Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new use here. So, here's my situation. I'm currently in China and I found a puppy on the street and decided to take him in. Took him to the vet and got him all set up health wise. Four days ago a terrible accident happened and my puppy fell and started convulsing and spitting out blood. I immediately rushed to the vet and they took care of him. The vet told me he has brain damage but is recovering. He was in the hospital for two days and is now back at home, but I still have to take him to the vet every morning for medicine. Now that he is back, he is slowly recovering, but the vet says there might be a chance he doesn't get better. Basically, I'm here for advice, optimism, and physical therapy help.

Before anyone jumps in and tells me to put him down, I know. I have decided that if he does not improve I will put him down. But I really don't know what kind of time limit to put on it. The vets here are very kind, but not extremely helpful even with a translator by my side.

TL;DR: Puppy has brain damage, any advice or optimism would do wonders for me right now.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
No one can tell, so the Vets are conservative, not promising too much. My personal opinion is that puppies learn lots of things very quickly, so while he is healing, try to give him a very enriched environment:
1. Socialize him as much as possible to as many different people, different dogs, animals, locations, sounds, situations, environments ...
2. Find him a few puppies with the same level of energy that he has now with the injury, and set up a play date, with these puppies or dogs, one at a time.
3. Regardless of the level of damage, Teach him Sit! - Whenever he Sits, say Sit! and give him a very tiny treat. Every once in a while, just say Sit!, and see if he tries to comply, giving him a treat if he does. When you can get him to Sit, 5 or 10 times in a row, consistently for 3 days, then teach Down! the same way, forgetting about Sit! for the moment. When he understands Down! 5 or 10 times for 3 times, then re-teach Sit! (to discriminate verbal cues). You can try to teach hand signals at the same time, or wait until he understands Sit! and Down! with minimal confusion. Then, teach him Come, Stand, Stay, ... and try other cues. If he barks or paws, or does a play bow on his own, you can try to associate those behaviors with a cue, also.
4. By the way, when he goes potty, you should say Potty. when you go out for Potty, you can say Out, then open the door. When he drinks, you can say Drink! Teach him lots of words and hand signals, then worry about re-teaching with distractions when he is better.
5. Take him for at least two walks a day, more if he can handle it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the advice. I didn't realize this until I read your response, but I forgot to mention he can't really walk right now. His back paws are working okay, but his front paws aren't responsive. He can roll himself over and lift his head a bit, but when it comes to walking the vet said it might take up to two months...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Sending get well wishes to your puppy. Puppies have amazing healing abilities, and brains can be retrained sometimes to use other parts of the brain to learn skills.

Maybe try holding his body so it is supported and let him attempt to paddle in a tub of warm water. Be SURE to support his body so he doesn't get his ears/head wet. Paddling is instinctive, and he may try to do it. I'd also massage and manipulate his legs to mimic walking. If you have a vet that does acupuncture you may want to try that. If there was brain swelling, ask your vet if steroids will help reduce swelling.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I like the suggestions from spotted nikes.

Ive never dealt with a dog with a traumatic brain injury before but I have done rehab with dogs that had massive strokes. and besides working with them everyday. Standing them up and holding them to get balance and your basic therapy. i found taking them outside or places that really stimulate the brain helped so much. I would take them out to the grass and just sit with them and let them smell and do their therapy outside. Dogs really perk with when you can stimulate all their senses. they WANTED to move and explore even if they could not. and this really drove them to keep going. Thats my only advice. I am so sorry you have to deal with this and I wish you the best. Puppies do have amazing healing abilities so hopefully he comes through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts