Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the same problem, a little. Except I take my puppy out of the crate every 2 or 3 hours, for house-training purposes. She can't just leave him in there all night. First he'll be whining because he wants out, then he'll be whining becasue he messed his cage. Two different things.

Also, ignoring is the key. When I say ignoring, I don't mean for you to let him rot in his poop until he stops whining. I mean for you to not say "Shh..." or anything, because he's still getting a reaction from you. If he's too loud, move him omewhere alse or get earplugs so you can sleep.

But patience. I can't stress this enough - you can't have a dog for just two weeks and want everything to be perfect. Just like humans don't like solitary confinement, dogs don't. But if you give them time and show them that they won't get anything out of making all that noise, they'll save their breath.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had this issue with my second dog when I first got him home and my husband wanted to die he needed quiet and this dog whined all night it took about a week or more before he stopped I tried everything I slept with him and that didnt work then I took him out of the crate and let him sleep with my first dog and that worked on and off they annoyed each other a bit but then it was better than him seeing the other dog walking around while he was in a cage so it finally worked not Im afraid to start a huge problem bringing a girl into the house of boys but I want a baby so bad so we will see what happens

·
Super Moderator
11,442 Posts
Are we still talking about that 9-week-old pup who's now a year-and-a-half old?

I'm pretty sure the problem has been resolved one way or another.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes my chili is about a year and a half old now and my 2 dogs have to be nuetered and they will be next week. I want to go look at girls today just to see I may not find the one but I will at least look. I want to be careful what I buy I wont rush into anything ..Its a big decision..My chili is posted below

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can only say what we did. Rascal came to us a couple days short of 5 weeks old. We tried everything! What eventually worked was a warm water bottle under his blanket and a mommy bear. You know those teddy bears for babies that mimic the heartbeat? It worked like a charm. Once he was a little bigger, we took out the "insides" of the mommy bear and attached it to the tote (his crate was too big to keep him in.) His mommy bear is now one of his favorite toys (without the sound insides) I also discovered that the sound of the dishwasher or washing machine running seemed to calm him down. He has now outgrown the mommy bear noises. We usually leave a radio on for both the dogs while we are out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My opinion on this is totally chuck the initial crate training attempt. I don't like to see dogs train there owners, but this time it may be the owners fault for having a dog that is either too attached and gets too lonely, or bad crate training.

I'd first try some alternate serperation anxiety drills and games. start with an open door but the puppy on the leash, get some yummy, but very very chewy treats that take him a minute. Tie his leash down, have him lay down, give him a treat for the "down" and leave for 10 seconds while he chews. Repeat for another 10 seconds, repeat for 30 seconds, for a minute. Don't reward his whining at any time. Make the dog stay down and and quite when you return before any contact.

Edit: Get him a stuffed animal to replace you when you're gone.

Alternately, try SLOWLY adjusting him to the crate. Repeat the same exercise in the crate after the dog is comfortable going inside and laying with an open door. You can even teach "down stay" during these exercises.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my mini Daschund and what I did was got a piece of clothing from mom with the scent on it and also place a hot water bottle in the crate with the pup. As for the deficating in the crate, they tend to use the bathroom alot at this age and everytime they eat the pee and poop. So just try taking to the bathroom more and also place a try wheening to hard food not so much soft. this will make cleaning up a bit easier on you and the darling. Good luck I hope this was helpful! It worked for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That works for me too DEZYHER, I am working from home, sitting beside her and keep an eye on her, but don't play with her all the time. A quick "no no" is enough to make her realize that she is not to chew on the furniture. Occasionally, of course, she has bitten in the chair legs, or even the wall corner, but she keeps herself busy with her toys for quite some time during the day.

We were also feeding her for a while in her crate. Take the bowl out again when she is done. I will toss a treat in before she goes to sleep in her crate, so she voluntarily goes in (well, sort of, she'll do anything for treats! :D). She has toys in the crate, I have music in the room, and I use the "bedtime" command, so she will turn around to the end of her crate and cuddle up to sleep, no crying anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with the last message posted. What are people nowadays thinking? We have a 9 week old puppy, stuck in a crate over and over and expected not to have to potty just because he is in this plastic box.... I am appalled at the way so many people expect to treat these baby dogs... they are a pack animal, a 9 week old baby would not normally be away from his family, and he is probably screaming, because he is desperate for some kind of better life than put into a plastic box and kept alone... why do people get dogs and then expect them to be able immediately to conform to our schedules and lives, without understanding some of their most basic needs? If this baby has been crated since 6 days old, it seems to me also that he could be becoming so frustrated with living too much in a box, that would sure account for the now-occurring screaming ! He may become a very neurotic and unhappy dog, because his basic needs for movement, exploration, company etc, are not being met. Think, people.!!
I argee with you. When we got our puppy, we left the crate in his room with the door open, and he would go in and out as he pleased. This got him more used to it, and we didn't start real crate training untill about 3 months old. That was only during the day with a half hour, and then an hour, and so on. Now he will sleep through the night in his crate and he loves it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
two puppies one crate

We just got two cocker pups they are brother and sister. We only have one crate for now until they get a little bigger. at night they whine and bark is it because they are together cause i thought it would be better for them to be together? How do i stop them from crying ignoring is not helping?

·
Registered
2 Posts
For all those people that want to close this thread, please don't! Even though it is very old, people are getting puppies every day and this is a common issue. I found it to be very helpful and informational. Don't be so anal about it being an old thread!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Give the puppy some time, he's just getting used to his new environment and owner. giving the proper attention to the dog will do it. REMEMBER, IT TAKES TIME, don't get impatient with the dog becasue they can pick on your emotions.

Hopefully, she'll give the dog a little while to settle, and things will go smooth from there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had the pups since they were 6 days old and they have been crated since then. So they are all definately used to being in a crate. Thats why I don't understand why he is being so obnoxious. I kept one of the puppies and my other friend kept one and our pups are doing great by themselves in the crate, sleeping through the night with only one outing (she lets her pup out 4 times a night!) and they are learning to hold their bowels pretty well now. So thats why I don't understand what is wrong with the pup she got.
shewolf4 said "If it is a big crate during the day- I would call it "playpen". Another thing- the pup knows when people are around- get lots of attention, lots of playtime, then - for the night- gets put back in the crate- people are in the house, but ignore him now, hide from him. Kinda confusing. " and I agree completely.

I have a 9 week old lab mix (FAR from my first experience with raising dogs)and I have to say I have play biting issues but the crate and night thing is close to perfect. I do the same thing every night at the same time I am slave to my routine and with a toddler at home I have no choice! I suggest your friend also stick to a routine. She Must make sure to take the pup out RIGHT before she puts him in the crate for his nightly nap. An hour prior take away his food and drink (ONLY if she has been watching to make sure she has eaten enough all day) The nigth routine will NOT work if the puppy has not been excercised and played with. Pups this age need their littermates the lonliness along with nervous energy causes the pooping in crate. Their natural instinct is not to dirty their living space.
Please dont take the stance that the puppy is being 'obnoxious'. I would look at your friend's commitment to raising a pup. It is not easy and niether is it going to happen overnight and without scarifices. She must take the pup out atleast once in the middle of the 8 hour span. Pups this age cannot hold their bladder for 8 hours. But the whining can ease up with a little bit of patience and a strong routine so the pup knows what to expect. If she is tired out well fed and has been taken out before bed there is no reason for a catastrophe. I have to also add I am not a believer in 'returning' a pup because 'it isnt working out' I am sorry but this is something she should have considered before she took the pup home! This is how puppies and dogs get left at shelters! Please ask her to be patient getting is puppy is no different than having a baby. New Moms always have sleepless nights we dont return our children because they are hard to live with so why should we do this with a pup???

Good luck to her and you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My puppy does it too. He always sleeps in bed with me and everything. But, if I have to go to class for an hour or two, or put him in for work for a few hours. He'll whine constantly. He's almost nine months old! I think it could be, I babied him too much when he was a puppy, and he's not used to the cage?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am in the same boat....8month old pup, whining and pooping in the crate. It's so hard. I am trying so hard with him.

Mine has separation anxiety. He will chew his paws bloody if he isn't medicated. The prozac is helping with the chewing and scratching, but he still howls and whines and poops.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.