Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I know that this might seem simple and straight forward to some but we can’t get our six month old puppy to eat by himself. He will only eat his food if someone is standing in the kitchen with him, we have tried to wait until he is engrossed in his food and then leave the room but he will just stop eating and follow you out of the room. We have also tried putting a baby gate up to keep him in the kitchen and he will just lie on the floor and whine with out eating at all I’ve tried just taking his food up a few minutes (about 2) after he stops eating it and nothing works. He has gone as long as three days with out more than a few nibbles of food because he wants us right there. I know that we created the behavior (we just wanted to keep an eye on him so he would not choke) and now we are dealing the after effects. Thank you for any advice given :):)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Don't leave completely. Just move away a little bit and stand there. In other words, slowly get him used to you being further and further away while he eats. He's young. I think he will probably outgrow it. I wonder if he really likes his food. Have you tried feeding him something delicious (like canned food) to see how he does with that?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
This is pretty typical with puppies, so don't feel bad. And don't worry, he's not going to starve himself to death! Gradually move further away from him, and then leave the room altogether, returning after a couple of minutes (and gradually lengthen the time you're in another room). It might be helpful to add something to his regular food to tempt him, but that can open up a can of worms, too! lol

Work on building his confidence, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts