Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy whines when he is away from me. If I put him in a puppy proof room and go away for even a few minutes he whines a lot . When I put him in his large playpen and walk away he whines. I am having trouble trying not to give into him but it breaks my heart to hear him whine and cry. He also does this whenever we make anything hamburger like. We never gave him any and he still whines like crazy. I don't know how to stop it. Do I just wait it out? I feel so bad for him.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Your puppy needs to learn that it's ok that you walk away occasionally. He's a baby, and naturally he would still be with his littermates and mum, so it's not natural for him to enjoy being alone. You can teach him that it's ok to be alone by following the instructions in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGxhcb-itO4

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am trying it is just he can't have treats right now because he is getting over parvo and is on a bland diet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You can try to use his regular food in place of treats if he likes it enough. Or you can try to stuff his food into a kong to preoccupy him a little more. Make sure to not return to the him/room/area while he's still whining. If you do, he will learn that whining works and he will keep doing it to get you to come running back. It's hard, but you're going to have to let him cry it out when you know all his needs are met (don't need to potty, not hungry, thirsty, etc.). Don't give him any attention, not even eye contact, when he's crying up a storm. He only gets you back when he is quiet. When you return to the room, if he lets out the slightest of sounds, you turn around and walk out and wait for him to be quiet. Any noise is not tolerated, and you must keep to the rule.

One way you can try is to get him used to being alone by gradually increasing your distance from him, but not being out of site yet. When it's nap time or quiet time, sit a short distance away from the pen/area. Ignore him and his cries, but when he settles down for a little bit, go to him and praise him quietly, but then return to your place. You don't want to praise him right after he stops or he might still connect crying with you coming back still. Keep doing this, but increase the time he has to be quiet in order to get praised. If he was quiet for 3 seconds, wait for 5, then 10, then 30, etc. When he's alright for a few minutes, increase your distance away from him and repeat the process when he starts to cry. This way you can use your attention as reward. Don't forget to do a variety of things, like read a book or watch TV so you generalize him being quiet in different situations. Since it's around nap time, he'll be really tired and it might help getting him to be quiet, or just fall asleep during the process, lol.

When you're making hamburger, do not ever give him any. If he cries when you're cooking then he gets sent away. If he wants to stay with you, he must be quiet no matter what and not cry for your food. For training him up gradually to not cry during cooking, you can do something similar, remove him like a time out. If he cries while you're cooking, remove him, and when he stops crying, he gets to come back out. Another cry gets him sent away, and when he's quiet, he gets to come back out. Repeat and repeat until he gets it. Also, it helps to have him on the other side of a line or barrier. The closer he is to food, the more intense he would probably feel. So if there is a doorway or line you do not want him to cross, send him on the other side. Get him to sit or lay down (you can use his bed too) behind this boundary, when he gets up, put him back. If he walks up or gets up, tell him to go back and sit/lay down. Use your body to block him and "herd" him back behind the boundary. Don't laugh, don't stare, but be firm and make sure he sits or lays down and not leaning forward ready to run back in before you walk away. Granted that he is quiet while doing this. If he is not, do what I mentioned before and give him a time out, but if he is, send him behind that boundary.

You have to keep doing this, and keep consistent. You may finding yourself going in and out of the room so many times you get dizzy, but in the long run he will learn what your rules are. Don't give in, you can do it!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Most puppies whine, you just have to ignore it. The more attention you give to a whining pup, the more he will whine. I told my puppy no every time he started to whine and then I would walk away... eventually he got it. We also do not ever give any table scraps. His food is his and ours is for us only

1 - 5 of 5 Posts