Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiancée and I just got a 10-week old westie puppy. We've had him for about 2 weeks now and we are still having a couple behavior issues. Im hoping most of them are a result of him being a young puppy but maybe the board has some suggestions for me.

We are crate training him and he does well with it for the most part. He whines when we put him in the crate and people have told us to ignore him. Since he's a tiny puppy and can only hold his bladder a couple hours, his crate is in our room. He will whine 25+ minutes each time we put him back in the crate. Is there a secret to cut back on the whining?

Another issue we've been running into lately is using the bathroom outside. We do a good job of taking him out after he eats or drinks and he usually potties with no problem. Sometimes, though, he will just play outside and as soon as we get back inside, he uses the bathroom. Any advice to drive home the fact that he's supposed to potty when we take him out?

I know I'm jumping around but these issues just pop up in my head. In the middle of the night, we take the puppy out and he's wide awake and ready to play. It takes an hour to calm him down and get him back to sleep. Advice?

Thanks in advance everyone

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
We are crate training him and he does well with it for the most part. He whines when we put him in the crate and people have told us to ignore him. Since he's a tiny puppy and can only hold his bladder a couple hours, his crate is in our room. He will whine 25+ minutes each time we put him back in the crate. Is there a secret to cut back on the whining?
Don't give him attention for whining. You can try crating him with an old t-shirt or pillowcase to provide a comforting scent, as well as a durable chew toy. Sometimes draping a towel or blanket over the crate helps. Beyond that, just give it time. He's still a baby after all.

Another issue we've been running into lately is using the bathroom outside. We do a good job of taking him out after he eats or drinks and he usually potties with no problem. Sometimes, though, he will just play outside and as soon as we get back inside, he uses the bathroom. Any advice to drive home the fact that he's supposed to potty when we take him out?
Playtime: off-leash (if you have a fenced yard; if unfenced, maybe a long leash or a retractable leash), he gets to run around and sniff what he wants, maybe take a tennis ball out there with you guys, you run around with him, make funny noises, talk to him in an upbeat tone, etc. Potty time: on a short leash, you go out with him and wait. Keep the leash short enough that he can't move too far away from you. You don't say anything, throw anything, coax him or let him run about. Wait for him to pee, praise him profusely for peeing outside and then it's straight back inside. Don't merge potty time with playtime; you can do that later once he's fully house-trained.

I know I'm jumping around but these issues just pop up in my head. In the middle of the night, we take the puppy out and he's wide awake and ready to play. It takes an hour to calm him down and get him back to sleep.
No revving up when you take him out for potty. The only part where exclamation points should be involved is the part where he pees outside and you praise him for it. Besides that, everything should be calm and controlled... no running around with him, no toys, no excitable noises. Just back in the crate.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Take the crate out of your room, place it in the family room where he can be with you in there while you're awake. If you're SURE he doesn't have to go, then IGNORE the whining 100%!!!!!

At ten weeks old he won't be able to hold his bladder very long yet, maybe 5 hours if he's sleeping, so set your alarm for two in the morning and get him outside when he needs to. I cut water off about three hours before bed time with young pups during the potty training stage and give meals at regular times (no free feeding) to help regulate the puppy's system. Be sure to take him out immediately after play sessions, meals and upon waking up to potty and GO WITH HIM to he sure he does everything he needs to do. reward HEAVILY as soon as his bottom comes off the ground and he's done his business (otherwise he'll learn to squat and do nothing). Be sure to give him time outside after outdoor play sessions for his bladder to kick in from the play session for him to relieve himself, pups ALWAYS have to go after playing.

Housetraining How To.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts