Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking at puppies. Obviously, all litters are different but how do you determine if a puppy is too fat?
If it is, will that change or is it indicatove of some type of problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honestly, any pup even if over weight will be fine.. puppy fat is ok and will be lost when you take them home, of course if the dog is grossly overweight I'd avoid him.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Where do you draw the line? My concern is that ai’ve been following the litter’s progress and this one has always been big. Also, I’m guessing because of the size, the puppy is a little off balance and kind of plops down frequently. I thought I’d see that improve but it hasn’t.

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
...Unless that puppy is 3 or 4 months old, plopping down suddenly and frequently's pretty normal. it's not weight related - unless these dogs have ROLLS of fat - it's lack of coordination. Same as the number of times and frequency of a newly walking human baby plopping down on their butts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its definitely ok for him to be plopping at this age. Even if he is doing it more than his siblings, he may just be less coordinated.

As the last person said, as long as there aren't rolls of fat. What breed is it?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Most baby puppies are kind of pudgy. They don't walk very well yet, either. If they have a distended tummy it might mean worms or other parasites, but you can tell "distended" from "just pudgy". Where are you looking at puppies?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts