Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have two American Bulldog puppies and they are 11 weeks old. Both of them are on Acana wild prairie and both were eating the recommended 1 1/2 cup per day divided into three feedings per day.

I went to the vet on wednesday and she weighted 18.6 and he weighted 16.8. He looks underweight as I can see his ribs. He has no parasites/worms/giardia/coccidia because the vet ruled them all out, other than that he is very active, great appetite, drinks water like normals and poops like normal but it's weird that he is eating the same amount his sister is and weights less, when he should weight more considering he is a boy.

My sister-in-law also has a boy from the same litter and he weighted 19.7, but I'm pretty sure they are free-feeding him and giving them 3 cups per day of Nutro Ultra.

So considering that he eats the same as his sister, has no worms/diseases, should I feed him more? Could it be his metabolism? I increased his food intake about two days ago from the recommended bag guideline of 1 1/2 per day to 2 1/8 ish, and his stools have gotten a little bit softer but still solid enough to pick up.

What do you guys think? I know Acana is top quality kibble and you should be feeding considerably less than other foods but I know he looks underweight, I should not be able to see his ribs but feel them. Have you guys ever had a similar issue with a dog? I know guidelines are just guidelines but I hope he starts putting on some weight soon eating 2 cups per day. They are very active since they are always playing and wresting with each other and I take them out for short walks.

Thanks for the advise. :clap2:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Our pup, when we first got him he was bloated (over fed) so we cut back A LOT .... hes a Alapha Blue Blood Bulldog X Mastiff, hes a healthy weight and we can see his ribs. We feed origen. In my opinion, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If hes eating, playing, pooping regularly and the vet didn't say anything .... he could just be a small male. If you're truly concerned push your vet about his weight for an answer, tell him your concerns ... or did you get them from a breeder? they should have the answer... maybe,

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If he needs more food he needs more food. There are a number of threads here about how much dogs eat and it is all over the place even with dogs that are eating the exact same food. I suspect going up to 2 and 1/8 cup was a bigger jump than you need to do, maybe bump it up by only 1/4 cup more a day at a time.

·
Registered
717 Posts
If he needs more food he needs more food. There are a number of threads here about how much dogs eat and it is all over the place even with dogs that are eating the exact same food. I suspect going up to 2 and 1/8 cup was a bigger jump than you need to do, maybe bump it up by only 1/4 cup more a day at a time.
We have a 65 lb 6 month old Bernese pup-- he gets the recommended PLUS 2 cups if he LOOKS hungry (whines paws at his food bowl or gets too ribby) and he is fine-- active and you can feel his ribs-- I worry if I can see a sunken area around his abdomen/ before his hind quarters-- you have to take into account your dogs specific metabolism NOT WHAT IS SAYS ON THE BAG-- my dogs also get raw beef and bones on top of the dry....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts