Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping some of you experienced breeders can offer me some advice. I adopted a shelter dog that no one knew was in early pregnancy at the time -- SURPRISE!--, and now have four puppies, all doing well.

The pups are four weeks old and are eating puppy mush, and nursing about half the time during the day. Dam is confined with them at night. I did notice today that they were still hungry after nursing. Also this morning, instead of nursing them on the floor, she was in her bed (which won't accommodate them all) with two pups, and the other two were crying because they weren't able to get in to the bed.

I would appreciate suggestions on handling nights. If I leave the puppies food and the dam has access, dam will eat the food, but I'm not sure she will be willing or able to nurse them enough at night anymore. Should I lock her out part of the night with food in there for the pups? Lock her out all night (is that too long at this stage?)? Lock her in and rely on her to nurse?

Also, I assume the pups will start drinking water when they need it? They haven't touched it yet as far as I can tell. I don't think they are dehydrated.

Finally, we may be keeping a puppy. When we get to the point of cutting off the puppies from dam entirely, is it more important to get "our" puppy completely weaned or keep him with the dam part of the day to socialize?

Thanks so much for any advice.

·
Registered
228 Posts
How dare you not posting pictures ... LOL

Please post pictures ....

Most people say to keep the pups with their mom and litter mates till 8 weeks old ... but I am not sure how the whole process goes ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am hoping some of you experienced breeders can offer me some advice. I adopted a shelter dog that no one knew was in early pregnancy at the time -- SURPRISE!--, and now have four puppies, all doing well.

The pups are four weeks old and are eating puppy mush, and nursing about half the time during the day. Dam is confined with them at night. I did notice today that they were still hungry after nursing. Also this morning, instead of nursing them on the floor, she was in her bed (which won't accommodate them all) with two pups, and the other two were crying because they weren't able to get in to the bed.

I would appreciate suggestions on handling nights. If I leave the puppies food and the dam has access, dam will eat the food, but I'm not sure she will be willing or able to nurse them enough at night anymore. Should I lock her out part of the night with food in there for the pups? Lock her out all night (is that too long at this stage?)? Lock her in and rely on her to nurse?

Also, I assume the pups will start drinking water when they need it? They haven't touched it yet as far as I can tell. I don't think they are dehydrated.

Finally, we may be keeping a puppy. When we get to the point of cutting off the puppies from dam entirely, is it more important to get "our" puppy completely weaned or keep him with the dam part of the day to socialize?

Thanks so much for any advice.
Wow ! I can help you with this one. I have weaned lots of puppies!

Ok the first issue is that if puppies have not had their nails clipped they are very sharp and can cause quite a bit of pain to the mother and some times cause irritation that can lead to a staff infection on her teats. So if you can clip them or get them clipped that would be super and I am sure the mom will thank you.

If they are four weeks I would go with this schedule. Now with mine it may vary a bit as every mother and litter is different and I allow them to tell me when they are ready to begin the weaning process, but this is pretty standard and a super safe bet.

Early in the morning soak hard food in very hot water for about a half our or so. You want the food soft on the outside but still hard on the inside. The pups need to learn how to eat hard food and it will feel great on their teeth.

After soaking it for about a half hour (depending on how big the kibble is and always use puppy food), take the mother out away from the pups completely. At this point the mother is usually eating about 2.5 times what she did regularly and so I feed her a portion as well while away from the babies. I never feed the mother and babies together as she will eat all of their food if she can or can give little growls to the babies (she can't help it..she is hungry). Put her in a crate or let her stay in another room of the house.

I feed the pups in a puppy dish or a flat cake pan works as well. I put enough food in there to have left overs and let them eat on it until the fall asleep. They usually get cold and wet so I always turn the heat lamp back on and wipe them up after they are done and feed the extra mash to the mommy so you have no left overs. I also put a shallow bowl of water in with them also at all times.

Around noon I clean the pen and put the mom in for about two hours.

I re-soak and feed again at around 6 pm with the mother away from them eating her portion.

At 10 pm I clean the pen again and put her in with the pups for the night (with outings as needed of course).

On week 5 the food is soaked even less and I only put the moms with the pups twice a day for two hours each time and offer water and hard food all of the time between soaked food. I do this for about 3 days and then reduce it to one session of 2 hours at night for the pups.

By 6 weeks the pups should be completely weaned and eating hard food.

I hope this helps you. :)

Alayne

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that schedule is a big help. I have been trimming nails.
What about the water -- do they need any help figuring that out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts