Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I thought I had my 10 week old puppy down on a good schedule. He'd go to bed around 10-11pm and we'd wake up around 6-7am. He is crate trained, and prefers to sleep in his crate. The first week he was waking up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, but now he holds it until I let him out.
But the last few nights he's been crying at 4 am. I can tell it's not so much that he needs to use the restroom, more that he just wants to play. When I do take him outside, I make sure that it's not exciting or too rewarding. When he does wake up, I take him outside to use the restroom then put him right back in his cage. He tries to play and have fun, but I ignore him. He does cry for 30-45 minutes, but I just ignore him. I'm afraid the neighbors will complain.
Any tips for making sure he'll sleep through the night? I have been trying to keep him awake from 7pm until bedtime, but sometimes he wants to nap! I know he's young and needs sleep, I just would love if he'd sleep during the night. The lack of sleep is starting to take a toll on me!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! P.S - he is a king charles cavalier spaniel. Not sure if that matters! :wave:

·
Registered
48 Posts
It honestly sounds like you are on the right track. Just remember 10 weeks is still young and puppies will do really well...and then backslide from any time between now and about 8 months old.

Does he go potty or does he just play when you get up and let him out? He really could have to go, and also want some play time. My best suggestion to keep him quiet after you know he has pottied would be, to get him 1-3 really cool puzzle toys, for his crate. Something that will hold his attention. I would also try a crate cover of some sort (I always just used a thin blanket when I crated my dogs years ago). Typically I have found that puppies quiet back down a bit faster in a dark crate.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh thank you! I just need to remember how young he is! I just thought we had it down, it's hard to backslide. He doesn't go potty, he just wants to play. But I'm going to give the puzzle toys a try! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
if he's not pottying when you let him out, I wouldn't let him out. just ignore him. he'll learn his crying doesn't get attention and will settle

·
Registered
627 Posts
Do you have a crate cover? When mine was little and even now she loves the cover on the crate, it's a dark place where she sleeps. Not a towel or blanket but a cover that fits the crate. Mine even has a roll down door so if she doesn't settle down I put it down and she is suddenly quiet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts