Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mozart has a vet appointment tomorrow and is supposed to get his second set of shots. However, he had a pretty adverse reaction to his first set of shots a month - namely vomiting and blood diarrhea, so I'm a bit unsure on whether or not I want to risk any more vaccinations. When I called the emergency vet, she basically just said that it's normal, but it sure didn't look normal. None of my other pets had ever reacted that way.

I'm curious what other people think, and what other people's experiences have been with dogs who seem to be particularly sensitive to vaccines. I already do a minimal vaccine protocol, but I'm really considering cutting even that short in this case.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Talk to your vet. With dogs with allergies to vaccines they can give a injection beforehand to help prevent reaction. and keep them under watch. they should break up the vaccines to determine which one cause the problem. And depending on the severity of the issue may opt not to vaccinate your dog for it again. which like if you had a child with an allergy to a medication learn the names used for the vaccine so you know to keep it in mind always. That most certainly is NOT normal. and should be looked into. In many years I have never seen a dog react that way to a vaccination.

·
Registered
423 Posts
No advice, but that vaccine reaction is NOT normal. I've never had a dog react to vaccines so I don't know what I would do.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I would get some Thuja, wait till your dog is 16 weeks, do Parvo/Distemper only, followed by the Thuja within the hour, then unless Rabies is requires where you are, I would do nothing else ever. this is what my holstic vet reccomended way back when Happy was a pup, she reacted VERY badly to her puppy vaccines. I would only vaccuinate agin, because chances are that first vaccine did nothing whatsoever exept cause a reaction, and Parvo and Distemper are not diseases even I would trifle with!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts