Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called Quill's vet to make his appointment for his second round of vaccines. He had his first shots on September 22 when he was going on 7 weeks old, and I was told he should be able to go in October 13-ish for the second round.

But when I called, the woman I spoke with said they prefer to give closer to 4 weeks apart so I would have to wait until October 22nd or so. After explaining we leave for MT next week (preferably the 14th or 15th), she told me they had no appointments and wouldn't be able to get him in. I asked if I needed to get his records in order to make an appointment for his second vaccinations in MT, and after speaking with a technician, she was able to make an appointment for us next Tuesday.

Is it bad he is getting them only three weeks apart? I thought they should be given 3-4 weeks apart, but she made it seem like this wasn't "normal" per se. She also said this way he would "be legal" for our trip to MT...but as far as I was aware, he wouldn't need his second vaccinations in order to move to a new state.

Not that this is important, but I thought it was peculiar. From what I understand, a lot of dogs get their first vaccinations at 8 weeks and their second at 11-12 weeks, meaning most puppies wouldn't have their second vaccinations before going to new homes and (possibly) new states.

Anyway, just wanted to make sure it isn't bad or anything for him to get them three weeks apart. I feel better about the idea of him having his second round before we travel if possible!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thank you! I just wanted to be sure, since she seemed like it was strange I would want them done next week. I had hoped to bring him in to the vet who has seen him since he was born at least once before we head out of state so doing his vaccinations there seemed the best plan.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
my ( not a vet understanding ) is 3 weeks to fight and mount a successful immune response to the vaccinations,,, the legal issue ??????? of crossing state lines ???? never heard of it.... unless your flying and that would then fall under age of pup requirements for the airlines... You don't want to over tax a puppies immune system, with vaccinations and vaccinations and stress.. is there any reason you can't get the 2nd set of shots when your in MT ??

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could and I told her I was happy to do so if I needed to wait 4 weeks. I mean, he will be seeing a new vet in MT for round three and any future issues as I live there and have only been working in WY. My initial logic was that it would be nice to speak with the clinic who has handled everything for him so far, so if he was due for vaccines on the 13th or so, why not take him in before traveling.

However, as she was preparing a print out of his initial few vet visits, she asked a technician about how to handle it (or something to that extent...like I said, she was a bit odd about it so I wasn't fully sure what she was doing) and then when she came back on the phone she said they could see him next Tuesday for his second vaccinations.

And that's what I thought. We are driving back. I also told her it was flexible and we COULD leave a little later (technically, I have my job in WY until whenever I decide to leave...however I have a horse back in MT and need to get back to get his vaccinations and fall prep done next week).

·
Registered
174 Posts
It should be fine and you will get a new Vet when you move and continue in his puppy schedule.
I just want to add,do be careful as to where you take him and let him out. You don't want him in areas where other dogs may have been until he is completely done with his shots, Parvo being your biggest concern.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

And yep, I am 100% aware that he isn't fully safe until he's done with vaccinations. I've already got plans for how to avoid high traffic dog areas. Obviously, I can't make any guarentees we won't stop somewhere another dog has been, but we can avoid rest areas and the like to minimize risk. There is only so much you can do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts