Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother brought our puppy to get his first pack of vaccinations at a clinic. The puppy package included the 5-in-1, Bordetella, Corona, a dewormer. My brother said that the vet gave him 1 shot, 1 intranasal and 1 dose of something he ate, which doesn't sound right to me at all. They should have given him 2 shots?? I'm hoping that my brother just didn't see the second shot, but if the vets really missed a shot would something bad happen if he gets the booster? Are the first shots and boosters all the same, or are the boosters stronger? Also, can I still opt out of the Corona and Bordetella boosters even though he already got the first dose? I've been reading a lot of articles about over vaccinating and how the Corona vaccine isn't necessary for pups over 6 weeks, how the Bordetella vaccine isn't necessary for dogs that won't be boarded and I've been convinced that I should only get what's necessary.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
he most likely got the vet would write it as DHLPPCVK its the 5 way with corona mixed. ( Distemper, Hepatitis, Lepto, Parvo, Parainfluenza, Corona ) they prefer to give them as one vaccination less stress on the dog. it is almost always combined so your puppy did receive 1 injection. the bordetella is in the nose and then the dewormer.

Bordetella is not only for dogs that get boarded. When i explain it to people I explain it like this when kennel cough was first named dogs basically didn't go a lot of places. now you have all sorts of dog friendly areas. and everyone takes their dogs around. dog parks dog pools groomers and day cares. Any of these places including just walking your dog on your street is a potential threat for your dog. It spreads a lot like a cold. If your dog were to be boarded it would be like spending a few days in a room with people and some of them are sick. coughing and spreading germs. your more likely to catch it there cause you are confined with them. but you can also catch it in day to day encounters. however it is by no means deadly but can be expensive to get rid of. Dogs who go to groomers or accompany you a lot would be more at risk for contracting this.

If your dog has not been vaccinated for it I would recommend doing corona as a puppy vaccination. after that though I wouldn't worry about it. The lepto vaccination your dog got I would say is less common. Lepto is transmitted when a dog drinks from a contaminated puddle or water source. most vets include it with the puppy shots standardly cause lepto is one of the most common diseases that can go from dog to people or people to dog. it effects the liver and until recently didn't have a lot of treatment options for a dog. However a client of mine had their dog put on dialysis and a new treatment and her dog survived.

and you will find a lot of people have different opinions on what vaccinations you should and shouldn't get. My goal is to give people what information they need to make a choice. Read about the diseases how they are spread and then you can make a proper decision on what vaccinations your dog should have.

and the booster shorts are the same dosage.

Honestly it is very common for most vets not to explain everything. but really it is for the better care and protection of the dog to educate the owners on the threats and preventions. a dog owner knows best what their dog is exposed too if they know what threats are out there. This practice of just tell and give is so common and everyone just goes along with it. good for you dog asking questions! Vets need to spend more time giving proper information instead of just giving out the services.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Fade, for your long answer! I have moved recently and the new vaccination clinic has a slightly different schedule from the old clinic. The old clinic gave the Bordetella at 8 weeks, then 12 weeks and lastly at 16 weeks, but the new clinic only gives it once at 12 weeks. My puppy has only received his dose at 8 weeks, so should he get another dose at the new clinic? Is it because that the vaccines are different brands that they have different schedules?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
From my experience it seems that every vet gets different information about some things. And they decide what they feel works best. We always do the bordatella no earlier then 8 weeks and then 2 weeks after the first dose. we always do it as a set of 2. but the new information they are coming out with suggests doing it every 6 months but we did not adopt that practice unless someone is constantly boarding their dogs and is exposed more often to it. remember though no vaccine is 100% even with the vaccine your dog can still catch something. but it is like if you were to go into a battle with no armor versus most of your body covered in armor. 70% immunity is way better then none at all. For next year what I recommend is getting your boosters done on the day your rabies vaccination is due. MANY vets will send you a reminder when each vaccination is due so they can charge you an office call each time you come in. and this practice has a lot to do with when they give the vaccinations to start with and how they space it out and what age they give it at. at least that is my gut feeling.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it seems a lot of vets follow different procedures! I just learned today that while the first Bordetella dose is intranasal, the second one is a vaccine! Learning to provide the best for a new puppy for the first time sure is confusing. :p

·
Registered
246 Posts
Honestly, we only do puppy shots and then three year rabies. I personally believe that oer vaccination Is a very serious issue In the veterinary world and they use it as a marketing scheme. I h ave a holistic vet and I love her. She wouldn't even give rabies every three years if it went required by law, as studies have shown its effectiveness for at least 7 years.

I would never vaccinate a dog every six months...the stressit does on the body is a risk that far outweighs the benefits. Just my opinion.

Ultimately, if vaccines are given at the correct time (different from puppy to puppy due to maternal antibodies) they should only need one shot...not 3. But. It is a guessing game because of the natural antibodies from mom.

If you are interested in reading, take a look at dr. Pitcairn and his vaccination protocols and read The Nature Of Animal Healing: the definitive holistic medicine guide. I have it for kindle...it will open your eyes to a lot of the nasty behind the scene procedures in not only the veterinary world, but the pet food industry.

In my research, the Intranasal is fine on its own..if you are comfortable th it, opt out of the vaccine. But do your research first. Good luck!

Sorry for typos! On my phone .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts