Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 week old Hokkaido (ainu) and lab mix, he's smart, loving and social but we've been having one serious issue with him.

We purchased him from a pet store here in Japan where they keep his bed, food, water, and puppy potty pad all in the same large-ish box. It's a good store that certifies the dogs eyes, ears, joints, and some of their organs and they also provide papers for both parents and keep immaculate first medical examination and shot records.

Anyhow, the pup despite getting out every 2-3 hours and peeing and pooping outside pees inside the kennel every time he's put in there. I'm fairly sure that he's been in the pet store for so long that he thinks the kennel is where he's supposed to go as yesterday he peed outside was brought inside, put inside the kennel for just a few minutes and he immediately started peeing again. Every time he is put in his kennel he'll pee and/or poop regardless of how long it's been since he was last outside.

The pup gets out plenty, gets lots of exercise, has his water cutoff at 7:30pm, and his kennel is the correct size. I need to know how to break the behavior, and if not that how else to housebreak him. We live on the 9th floor and have a full minute between the time we leave the door and get outside so I usually try to get him outside before the need arises but I don't know how to get him to alert me that he needs to go.

The second issue I'm having with him is his strange fear of concrete. He's fine on tile, carpet, dirt, or grass but he refuses to walk on concrete and needs to be carried. How can I encourage him to walk on the concrete as positive reinforcement doesn't seem to be making any headway.

Please please please help me! Thank you!

--Lauren

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
First, I'd take him to a vet and make sure he doesn't have a urinary tract infection. You're probably right that he's been taught that the kennel is the proper place to go, but better safe than sorry.

For now, I'd remove the kennel. Obviously, he thinks the kennel is the proper place to go, so remove the kennel and reintroduce it later if you want to. Put him in a closed off area with puppy pads instead when you can't watch him. Keep him tethered to you with a leash at all times, and learn to notice his "Gotta go" behaviors. Dogs don't have the physical maturity necessary to hold it until 6 months (they don't get the "have to pee soon" signal until they're already peeing a lot of the time until after 6 months or so), so potty training is really about the human, not the dog.

Take him out every 2 hours, every time he wakes up and 20 minutes after he eats. Write down feeding, drinking and elimination times in a notebook. Notice the patterns. Maybe you need to go out every 1.5 hours, or 10 minutes after eating.

When he does go outside, praise him and give him a great treat. Throw a puppy potty party! When he goes inside, just clean it up with an enzymatic cleaner or a solution of white vinegar and water and try to do better next time.

As to the concrete, how long have you had him and how long have you tried PR? These things take time. It's not an immediate thing. You have to take it slowly, use really great treats and have a lot of patience. Also, look at the pads of his feet. If he has cuts or scrapes, maybe the concrete hurts.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I second Amaryllis' advice.

But why take him out only every two hours? My doberman puppy caught onto potty training very quickly but at 14 weeks (and past that) we were taking him out much more often. If everything is alright medically I'd suggest taking him out more frequently. Also, I would completely clean his kennel with an enzyme cleaner that will take away his smell/scent. You could try feeding him in there too. Dogs don't like to defecate the area where they eat and when I'm working with a dog that has a habit of peeing/pooing in their crate/kennel/area I make a point to (first clean it) spread his food all up in it for meals that might also help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts