Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I'm sure you get hundreds of these threads, and I tried looking through pages and pages of threads, but haven't come up with it yet!

I brought home my little girl, Sadie, on Tuesday. She's 8 weeks old tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone knows how long, on average, it takes puppies to learn their name. I know I'm guilty of over talking to her, so I'm trying to say "Sadie" only when I'm trying to get her attention, but it seems like she just doesn't acknowledge it. I definitely know its not something that happens overnight, or even in the 5 days I've had her. I'm just curious.

Or, I anyone has any tricks for getting her to catch on, it would be greatly appreciated!

IM also working on getting her to "come". She just looks at me most of time like I have 3 heads. Sometimes I can get her to come by bending down and tapping on the floor while I say it.

Again, I know there are probably tons of threads on here with this information, so I would gladly read them if someone happens to know how far buried they are :)

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
When you say her name and she looks at you, praise and treat her. If you do this consistently for a few days she will pick it up really quick.

For come, get down low and call her to you in a happy high pitched voice. If she still doesn't come try walking away from her to try and get her to follow. When she does come, praise and treat her like she just did something amazing. Treat her everytime she comes on cue and never correct her for not coming and you will start to build a reliable recall.

Congrats on your new puppy.

Some videos for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_644039&feature=iv&src_vid=TJSGda3b3wA&v=eiMGJBxRtBw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjd99MlmqqI&feature=plcp

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly what I was looking for! THANK YOU Gally and hanksimon! That book is amazing, by the way!

I've started having training sessions with her this afternoon and evening, and am so happy with her! "Sit" seems to be the easiest one, and she is learning "Down" pretty quickly. I think I need to stop, though, and get her to learn her name and "Come".

We were working on her name, using kibble as a treat, and she is starting to respond! I hope for exciting news to tell you in the next little while!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I never say "come" to a pup or inexperienced dog unless I would bet a $50 bill that they will come (or can control their response). If you say "come" and nothing happens, what can you do? What does it tell your dog? I say the recall word once the dog is already headed my direction (pat my leg, say her name and encourage her - THEN add the word and a click and treat) Name the behavior the dog is doing instead of asking the dog to perform a behavior they don't really know. For name recognition - that is the very first thing I teach. We call it the Name Game and it charges the clicker. Say the dog's name and when the dog makes even a brief effort to look at you, click and treat. Do not repeat her name. If you need to you can move or make a kissy sound to help her look. Then click and treat immediately.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with Pawzk9. Don't teach Come right now. Teach Watch, also known as attention. It is a call to the dog to have it look you in the face, then teach the dogs name as the cue for that behavior. Call the dogs name, it runs over and looks you in the eye. The first part, an a useful part of Come: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiMGJBxRtBw

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still working on her name! When I'm working with her, I can say "Sadie" and she automatically looks up in my eyes because she knows I have a treat or kibble. (My brother took his dog to obedience class, and they taught them to bring a kibble/treat up to your forehead while saying their name so that they learn to look at you). However, when we're not working on her training, she doesn't even flinch when I say it, let alone look at me. I've tried all the different pitches I can get, and as excited as I can get.

Any ideas???

She is doing wonderful with Sit and Down! I don't have to give her a treat anymore for Sit, it's just automatic it seems *knock on wood*

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm still working on her name! When I'm working with her, I can say "Sadie" and she automatically looks up in my eyes because she knows I have a treat or kibble. (My brother took his dog to obedience class, and they taught them to bring a kibble/treat up to your forehead while saying their name so that they learn to look at you). However, when we're not working on her training, she doesn't even flinch when I say it, let alone look at me. I've tried all the different pitches I can get, and as excited as I can get.

Any ideas???

She is doing wonderful with Sit and Down! I don't have to give her a treat anymore for Sit, it's just automatic it seems *knock on wood*
I'm always training. I have treats and clickers nearby at all times. I work on calling Chase's name sporadically throughout the day during different activities. When he looks or comes towards me, I treat, throw a toy, or love on him. I never call his name if I know he won't respond because I don't want him to get in the habit of ignoring his name. If I want his attention and I'm not sure he'll give it, I'll make a noise. When I have his attention, I'll call him and show a treat or toy to get him to come to me.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
It takes time. Always assume that it takes a minimum of 3 days when you're training for a dog 'to get it," because they have to sleep on a lesson for it to sink in. it may take less, it may take more, but it'll help you to be patient.

Keep working at it, practicing about 10 min. a day if she has the patience, as well as once in the morning and once in the afternoon (before feeding , if possible)... if you have the time. You're really teaching two behaviors - 1) Respond to the name; and 2) Look at your eyes - not your direction or at the food in your hand. So, that may take two weeks before she begins to get it, then you'll have to phase out the food slowly, eventually practicing with only a few treats... and finally with no treats, just praise.

In addition, my belief is that you teach simple things like Sit and Down, Name, Come, etc. so that the puppy can begin to learn how to learn. The more patience you have and the more things you can teach, then the faster the puppy will learn. I think that Sue Ailsby takes 6 levels to teach her dogs, perfectly, using clicker training. After that, the dogs learn nearly anything with only one exposure. In my more modest case, with my 11 yo pet dog, I can teach him simple, new behaviors in 2 minutes. KBLover & Wally seemed to passed that same learning how to learn threshold.

Six weeks is still an enfant. When she's 10 weeks, you'll be amazed at how fast she learns. At 6 mos, she'll be begging you to teach her... and at 2 years... well, just don't leave the car keys where she can find them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Six weeks is still an enfant. When she's 10 weeks, you'll be amazed at how fast she learns. At 6 mos, she'll be begging you to teach her... and at 2 years... well, just don't leave the car keys where she can find them.
LOL @ car keys! That is too funny.

She is young! I guess I forget how we trained our other dogs since I was so young. This is my first puppy all on my own. We're working hard, and she is such a sweetie! She comes to work with me right now, so when she's not sleeping I am either working with her or having fun playing!

I need to keep reminding myself to be patient - thanks for the nudge ;) It's hard to remember that all of the things my 16 year old dog learned was over the entire 16 years...not the first week!

:)

I was going to make some homemade dog treats as an awesome "yes, you did it!" thing instead of kibble and the little treats I am currently giving her. The one recipe I have has peanut butter, whole wheat flour, and nonfat yogurt in it. I just want to make sure that's all good before I get her hooked!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

Any ideas???

Use a clicker. Much better than luring all the time, which can be hard to wean off of.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank! I will have to look into the clicker thing, as none of my dogs growing up ever were trained on it.

In good news..I think she is learning to move to me when I call her name! I made some frozen yogurt treats and some baked peanut butter treaties, and have been coaxing her to come to me when I call her name. She only gets a tiny piece each time, but I can call her when I'm in a different room and she comes running. I am thrilled!

I know it may be hard to wean off of treats, but so far she knows Sit really well, so I only give her a treat on her most amazing, quick sits. She seems to be happy just to be praised to the high heavens!

Such a sweet, smart little girl I have! :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I read somewhere it takes 6 months for a dog to know their name super reliably. Not sure if that's true or false, but either way, everything takes time. Congrats on the progress you have made and keep up the good work. =]

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I brought up the clicker because you said she only sits when you have a treat. Maybe I misunderstood.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Different treat suggestion. While shes beginning to learn, gnawing on a treat is OK, but when she's a little faster, you might consider changing the treats, making them the size of a little fingernail, and using them to quickly 'mark' correct behavior, rather than as reward.

When the pup chews a treat, you lose a little momentum in training, but if you give a small taste when she Sits,etc., then you can reward 30 times in a minute (!!!), getting in a lot of practice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I brought up the clicker because you said she only sits when you have a treat. Maybe I misunderstood.
No worries! I appreciate ALL the advice! :)

She sits on command, with or without a treat now!

Good idea on getting more practice in, hanksimon! I break them up pretty small now, but I do notice how long it takes her to eat sometimes, then gets distracted by her nearest toy :p lol!

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hot dogs are good for small treats. You can cut the hot dog into 4 pieces, the length ways, then chop each fourth into a small piece. Works great for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts