Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 week old Golden Retriever puppy loves to play. My roommate has a very sweet 5 year old lab/pit mix. The lab is a little hesitant for a second around new people but after a minute or two just wants to lick your face off and sit in your lap. She however does not seem to like my puppy trying to play with her...the puppy started off chasing her around and jumping up on her and nipping at her ears. These things all seem completely normal to me for a puppy that is trying to play. The older dog turns her head away a lot, gets up and moves when the puppy comes close, and has even let out a soft growl with her head down a few times. She doesnt get a whole lot of interaction with other dogs but she doesnt seem to be getting used to the playing from the puppy. I'm worried about the puppy stressing her out and causing her to get agressive. She has never shown any signs of agression towards people or other dogs but obviously if she is pushed enough she could.

Is there anything I can do with my puppy or with the older dog to make them less stressed or do I just need to keep my puppy away as much as possible? Thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. The older dog is teaching a valuable lesson to the pup. The soft growls are usually warning growls. It is good that she gets up and leaves. Most older dogs seem to not like new puppies. They are two fast and have too much energy :)

Get your puppy lots of exercise. Wear that kid out. As she grows older, she too will calm down. For now, if the older one seems too stressed or gets snappy, just seperate them. But try to let them work it out on their own. Dogs are very good at this.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Puppies can get by with murder and the older dogs will tolerate it until the pup is about 4 months old. Then, everything changes....the puppy will be put in it's place because it's not a puppy anymore. These are all valuable lessons/life skills that the pup needs to learn....part of their socialization. The dogs can teach these lessons far better than we can.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Puppies can get by with murder and the older dogs will tolerate it until the pup is about 4 months old. Then, everything changes....the puppy will be put in it's place because it's not a puppy anymore. These are all valuable lessons/life skills that the pup needs to learn....part of their socialization. The dogs can teach these lessons far better than we can.
Yup lmao, when we first got our two Beagle/Labs they would torment the hell out of the neighbors Chow who was about 10 years old and would bug the hell out of the wolfdog, Wolfie seemed to take on the mother role even though he was a male and seemed to put up with just about anything, any other dog would have swallowed my pups whole.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would not worry about it either, Its all a normal process. I am going through the same thing right now with our dogs. My puppy Teagan loves to pester my scotty Casey. If Teagan gets a little too carried away Casey just nips her and Teagan learns her lession, but with out Bouvier who is WAY to pacient I am just waiting for him to pin Teagan down, but she absoultly loves Badger and chases him everywhere. He just tries to ignore her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts