Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Meet my new puppy (Wesley's little brother), Carter.

He is a double merle (LW) Australian Shepherd. 16 weeks, and a chubby 25lbs.

Carter is hearing and visually impaired (he can hear high-pitched tones, and can see just fine aside from his depth-perception being a little off).
ENERGETIC, smart, curious, eager to please, and cuddly.

[/IMG]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
He is sooooo cute!! The coat pattern on double merles is so gorgeous.. do all double merles have hearing/vision impairment?

·
Registered
497 Posts
cuteness overload!!!! he just looks so happy and adorable. Such a cute and beautiful both of your dogs are!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Thank you!
About 25% of merle-to-merle bred pups end up like Carter (or with complete deaf or blindness). It is totally preventable.

Here's a good link on the subject: http://www.lethalwhites.com
I skimmed through the site; preventing I assume means simply not breeding a merle to a merle?

He really is adorable!

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Both of your dogs are adorable! :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
He is SO cute! And very lucky as far as a double merle goes to have any hearing or vision at all.

"Prevention" does mean just not breeding a merle to a merle. I can't imagine why people think that's a good idea. (Not to insult your little guy.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I skimmed through the site; preventing I assume means simply not breeding a merle to a merle?

He really is adorable!
Yep - it's really that simple. Sometimes it's an accident (pet owners who decide to breed their dogs, for example), but other times it's intentional...purely for the popularity and price of the merle coat. The AKC has not banned merle-to-merle offspring (guide says to "cull" them). They have banned it in the UK for Aussies, Shelties, Beaucerons, Daschunds, pretty much any breed that carries the gene. This particular "breeder" (if that's what we're calling her) had the nerve to CHARGE the rescue group before allowing them to take Carter. C R A Z I N E S S .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is SO cute! And very lucky as far as a double merle goes to have any hearing or vision at all.

"Prevention" does mean just not breeding a merle to a merle. I can't imagine why people think that's a good idea. (Not to insult your little guy.)
No offense taken, I completely agree!
A reputable, ethical breeder (who actually cares about the dogs) does not do this. Carter is SUPER lucky...but so am I :)

A lot of times people assume he is mentally challenged, because the eye defects make him look different. Truth is, he's just as smart as any other Aussie. I just have to communicate with him differently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts