Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my 8 week old lab/cocker spaniel mix has had a tough week. He got his first shots and then had a small reaction to them and needed to go back to the vet and get another shot to counter the reaction, he also had a fever. So the doctor told me to give him childrens benadryl which I have done 3 times, once a night, then morning, then night again, and he seemed fine with it, just a little extra tired.

This morning he started throwing up what looked like water, or liquid and he hasn't eaten since maybe 8 last night. He is drinking water right now. Is something wrong? what is happening to my poor little guy?

·
Registered
891 Posts
First, give your vet a call to check in. If pup hasn't eaten in a while, he could be hungry and vomiting up some bile, which could be that watery liquid you described. Try offering some cut up pieces of poached boneless, skinless chicken. Make sure the chicken is not enhanced-sodium should be less than 4% per serving.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. I called the vet and they asked me to bring him in so he has an appointment at 1:40. I have tried to give him 2 types of hard foor (he usually eats purina puppy chow, but i was given a free sample of another puppy food and wanted to see if he would atleast eat that) i also tried to give him this high calorie wet food given to me by the vet and he didn't want that, i tried treats and he didn't want that, i tried some turkey meat and he didn't want that either. This is his 3rd vet visit this week and I am a stressed out mess. I just want him to be ok.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Poor pup! It sounds like he's got the hunger pukes from his stomach being so empty. You may want to boil a chicken breast and cut it up into very small pieces. Cook some white rice and mix it together at a ratio of 4:1 (rice: chicken). I'd offer small amounts of this (just a couple of spoonfuls at a time - see what happens) a few times a day until his tummy settles down. I'm glad he's still drinking water, so he stays hydrated.

In the mean time, I would definitely start looking for a better food. Purina Puppy Chow is not a good food - mostly corn, fillers, and by products - most of it simply passes through the dog's digestive system and comes out the other end = more poo!). Some good ones you might want to check out are Acana, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Innova, or Taste of the Wild. You can google their websites (store locator) to find stores that carry them in your area. You might find their prices to be higher, but you can feed less of it for the same nutrition because it's more nutrient dense. For example, I only feed my 12.8 pound poodle 1/2 c. a day of Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain (puppies can eat this one b/c it's an all life stages food). My 12.4 lb. westie poo eats the same amount of Innova Prime Salmon and Herring (this is an adult only food). If I were to feed something like Purina, I'd have to feed at least twice as much of it for them to get the same amount of nutrition.

Let us know the result of your vet appt!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I am leaving for the appointment in just a few minutes. I didn't plan on giving him purina but the person i adopted him from was giving him that and the vet told me to keep him on it for a while so we don't stress him out to much. Once the vet gives me the ok I am going to switch to something better slowly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bad news. My puppy had parvo. They tested for it 3 days ago when i first brought him in and it was negative but today it was positive. They said it takes 2 weeks to show up in pups so he probably got in from when he was with his previous owner. I am crushed. They are going to try a new thing where they take blood from a dog who just got over parvo and give it to my pup and that should jump start his recovery. His white blood cells are pretty good so the doctor said thats good and he has 50/50 chance :( i can't stop crying i am totally crushed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well he has to stay at the vet all weekend. He is on a IV now so he doesn't get dehydrated. They are taking blood from a dog that just got over parvo and giving it to my pup. I guess that is supposed to help his body fight the parvo. If that works (will find out in the morning) then they will start him on anti-biotics. The doc said that there is a chance he could pass away during the night. My heart is completely crushed. I just am so mad that the previous owner allowed this to happen. I told her what happend and at first she was in denial and asked if i had brought him around any other dogs, which i haven't and haven't brought him anywhere but the vet. and it takes 2 weeks to show up in a pup.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I can understand how you feel. Us be devastated, too. Try to stay positive and be glad you caught it quickly. Sending you & your pup tons of good thoughts. Pls keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm so sorry. That worry was gnawing in the back of my mind, but I didn't want to scare you in my previous post. On the positive side, I had a pup survive parvo many years ago, so it CAN be done. Prayers heading your way! {{{HUGS}}} to you, too!! Please keep us posted, good or bad. We're here to listen.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Niko pronounced Neko, he is so lively today. Without the blood transfusion I don't think he would have made it. I can't expalin the relief I feel. Thanks for everyones wishes!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am sorry I am late reading this ... I am just so very happy everything turned out good! :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
What wonderful news! My Bob also survived Parvo. I was so relieved, and I bet you feel the same!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts