Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 month old puppy (chihuahua/yorkie mix) seems to think she's supposed to pee in her crate. We take her out for 30 minutes sometimes even an hour. When she still hasn't gone, we return her to the crate & she immediately soils it. This has continued for weeks. We praise her when she does go outside but she still consistently waits us out til she can go in her crate. We're not sure if she's doing it out of retaliation, dominance or if she's just confused & thinks this is where she's supposed to go.

Help..... please

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
How big is your crate? It should only be large enough for her to lie down in and turn around - no bigger. I'd also remove any bedding - I once had a smart dog who figured out the the bedding made a great place to sop up urine. Make sure you are cleaning any accidents thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner, such as Nature's Miracle, to eradicate any urine smell. Otherwise, your pup will keep going back to that place to potty. Do the same for any accidents anywhere else in your house.

When you take her out, use the "go potty" command, but no other conversation. Take her to the spot you want her to go, and don't let it turn into a play situation. If she doesn't go within 15 minutes, return her immediately to her crate, then try again 30 minutes later. If she does go, I'd use a clicker (click after she's finished going) and verbally praise her, then give her a treat right then and there. Don't wait until you get back inside to give her the treat - she won't associate the treat with pottying if you do that. Once she goes, then you can let her play for a few minutes as an additional reward.

I think she's confused. Most dogs don't like to soil their dens. She's a very small breed, and they can't hold their bladders very long, especially when they're young. Some small dogs take quite awhile to potty train.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply georgiapeach! We've been washing the crate down with windex & bleach trying to get the "scent" out but I'll get some enzyme cleaner. It's a small crate but still too big for her so we blocked it off with a box. When we leave her alone she's either peeing on her furry toys or maybe they just end up in the pee by the time we get there...either way...gross :( She's really not giving us a chance to do the potty break, crate & potty break again because of the immediate peeing when we put her in the crate. At first we cleaned it after she did it then realized it might be a dominance thing so now we let her stay in it for a little bit.

We do tell her to go potty over & over & over.... but we have not been doing treats. I heard/read that treats are counter-productive so we've just been praising her, giving attention & play time as a reward. We have been thinking about going back on our "no-treat' decision though because of the lack of progress...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My pup was like this when she first came home. What I ended up doing is using a 'litterbox' with wood pellets, in a small pen with nothing but that and her crate. At first she could be in her crate, or in the litterbox. Once she got it that the litterbox was a good potty, I gave her a bit more room. It helped for a few months as needed, until she'd matured a bit and could hold it. She will still sometimes go in her crate if I don't get up on time, but she's now not as thrilled about that. The litter saved me a lot of work because before I was cleaning the crate, bathing her, and any blankets every single time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts