Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly don't know what to do.
Tucker's been a mostly wonderful puppy. He's smart and a fast learner and, by some miracle, pretty quiet.
But.. every once and a while will throw something I can only call a temper tantrum. It's always while he's on a leash and I'm trying to go somewhere he doesn't want to. It can happen before bed when I'm trying to let him out one last time, or halfway down the street on a walk. 85% of the time, he's great on a leash but then sometimes it's like a switch goes off and he's like OH NO. NO WAY. I DONT WANT TO.
He'll stick his front legs out straight and pull against the leash in the opposite direction. I'll say come on, let's go. Or call him. Doesn't work. If he doesn't get his way, he'll start flailing around and screaming like he's being murdered. It's terrible.
What do I do? ):

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Have you tried just standing there and ignoring him? Basically, waiting it out? Make sure he has a collar he cannot back out of (or a secure harness is even better). Let him flail and then when he realizes it isn't getting him anything, he may just give up and move on. Then praise him and give a little treat once he chooses to go along correctly.

Kind of like when a dog is pulling on the leash, sometimes stopping until they quit pulling teaches them that pulling doesn't get them anywhere.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Manna started taking less loud and active tantrums recently, she's healthy so I know they're tantrums.

How do you get a 90-100# pup to move after it has quite dramatically flopped over and refuses to get up? I can ignore her till the ends of time and she'll win because the goal is to not go anywhere (even if it's only 5 feet away). She's getting a bit too heavy to carry.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Puppies do throw temper tantrums. For the most part, ignoring them just as you would a human throwing one works great. They learn that throwing a tantrum doesn't work to get them attention and what they want and they grow out of it.

My dog's favorite is to "talk back" at us. If he gets frustrated during training or because we won't play at that exact moment, he'll back up, sit down and bark and growl like he is telling us off. It is absolutely hilarious, but gets him nowhere. :) He'll also do something similar on leash, but it's usually more out of fear of something and is more him not wanting to move forward toward whatever it is. We do something similar to what Shell suggested to help urge him on.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Manna started taking less loud and active tantrums recently, she's healthy so I know they're tantrums.

How do you get a 90-100# pup to move after it has quite dramatically flopped over and refuses to get up? I can ignore her till the ends of time and she'll win because the goal is to not go anywhere (even if it's only 5 feet away). She's getting a bit too heavy to carry.
This...is what I fear in the future. LOL! I can just picture a giant breed getting halfway through a hike and then just...laying...down...and refusing to move. Then what? I guess always take them for a walk or hike a little hungry so that treats will motivate them? Bring a tent with you? When you figure it out, please DO share! :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Oh, dear lord. Hahahahah that sounds like a nightmare. Luckily, Tuck is only about 10lbs

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
This...is what I fear in the future. LOL! I can just picture a giant breed getting halfway through a hike and then just...laying...down...and refusing to move. Then what? I guess always take them for a walk or hike a little hungry so that treats will motivate them? Bring a tent with you? When you figure it out, please DO share! :D
Oh, dear lord. Hahahahah that sounds like a nightmare. Luckily, Tuck is only about 10lbs
Last night I wanted to move her to her crate on the other side of the room literally 5 feet away. No hikes required for that tantrum. I lifted her front and my FI lifted her back end and she was a bit wiggly but we managed to carry her to it though getting her in it was difficult.

She never protested her crate before though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on this! My puppy, a 9 month old GSD mix of some sort, is pushing 60 pounds. When we get home from walks and when we go out for his last potty break before bed, he often lays down and refuses to get up. He won't be swayed by toys (frisbee, favorite stuffed animals) and treats (even really good and stinky ones, like bully sticks) and even though he knows obedience commands, won't listen to any of them when he's in this mode. He goes for 3 30-45 walks/day +playtime outside, so I think he's getting plenty of outdoors time.

We have been trying to praise him a lot whenever he gets up and to give him treats whenever he comes inside from walks/outings, so that he associates coming inside with positives (rather than the negative of not getting to enjoy the outdoors). No obvious effects yet lol. Sometimes we just sit with him for a few minutes to give him time to choose to get up on his own (this has sporadic success). He's especially bizarre, because if we tug on his harness (which we use only as a last resort), he won't react at all. He has let us pull him around the grass in the harness (while he is laying down) and he doesn't seem to mind at all- it won't get him on his feet! It is a real issue in the morning while we are getting ready for work or before bed when we need to get to sleep.

I have read that dogs do this when they "shut down" or feel anxious or afraid. I really don't think that's the case with Brinkley... I think it generally happens when he's been having a lot of fun outside and is reluctant to come back in the house. Maybe Manna and Brinkley need a support group to discuss this issue :)

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
for the humans don't tense up, don't get in a rush, don't get frustrated , "stay calm and patient" because how you work your way through the situation is what the pup/dog will learn how to handle it the next time. defiantly don't want to teach them to fight, stuggle, dragg at you because that is what your teaching them. I like the saying where the head goes the body follows.. and do what I do for a horse, "control the head",, walk in a circle, zig zag, go reverse then arch back to where your going.. any motion that gets them unstuck. If you have one of those dogs that you know will respond to a quick pop to stop slackin , then hey go for it... me:: young pup/new dog,, I stop and work through it .

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Sometimes I have fosters that don't want to come back inside from the yard. I just say "Okay" and walk inside and leave them. Of course, I actually watch through the window but they cannot see that. So they almost always quickly trot up to the door since it isn't any fun outside alone. Then I praise them and give them a treat upon coming inside.

If a dog doesn't want to move after a walk, I usually chalk it up to needing a cool down time and just let them be for 30 minutes. My own dog prefers to lay on the AC vent after a walk and there ain't no moving him till he's chilled out :) Of course, that's knowing the dog and knowing there is nothing wrong health or mood wise with that behavior.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts