Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tricks to get through the next week or so? Our little aussie's back teeth are coming in and his gums are inflamed pretty bad. It seems like he doesnt want to eat kibble bc of the chewing.

We've been giving him ice cubes and soft treats and tons of toys to chew on, but just curious if there is something specific anyone suggests.

thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Doug,

I had a similar problem with my Golden Retriever. Her teething and mouthing went on for quite a time. I used some kids' chew toys and put them in the freezer before I gave them to her. That seemed to help her (probably numbed the area up a bit and allowed her to get the feeling of chewing also). I found some great info on this at www.golden-retriever-magic.com/puppy-teething.html. This site is mainly about Goldens but does have a lot of useful info for all dog owners.

Hope this helps.

VJ

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
If ice cubes don't work can you give him crushed ice? I put ice cubes in a ziplock baggie and whacked them with my trusty hammer.. worked like a charm. :) Or put the crushed ice in pup's water bowl to keep the water nice and cold.

The other thing you could try is either a rope toy or an old face cloth tied in a knot. Soak them then stick them in the freezer. Give them to your pup to chew on.

As a last resort, I used baby Orajel to help relieve the pain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts