Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering at about age a puppy will start to loose their puppy teeth.
Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
My five month old Aussie is in the process of getting his adult teeth. He has had a hard time with teething. I will be glad, though, when all of his needle like baby teeth are gone!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
What kind of dog do you have? I am pretty sure smaller breeds teeth sooner than large breeds, but I could be wrong. I know most dogs are done teething and have all of their adult teeth by 7 months. Zoey had her adult teeth at 5 1/2 - 6 months.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is a 6 month old Shih-Tzu Maltese Cross. We just adopted her from the local shelter, and I am unsure if she has lost her puppy teeth. Her teeth are not razor sharp, which leads me to believe they are her adult teeth.

·
Registered
76 Posts
are all dogs suppose to teeth? because my dog is 10 months old and l dont believe lve seen little teeth lying around my house ever..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every dog I have had previously.... has teethed. I just thought 6 months was too young to have all of her adult teeth already.

·
Registered
76 Posts
dont know if this is a stupid question, but are the teeth suppose to just grow out, or fall out and replace with new ones?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea... the only way I have ever noticed, is because there will be little spots of blood on their chew toys.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Thanks for asking this question. I've been wondering about my pup as well. As far as I can tell, he hasn't lost any teeth (he's four months old). But since I'm new to the whole puppy thing, I might be completely wrong. LOL!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Bailey started losing his baby teeth at about 5 months. The canines were the last to go, he actually had doubles on top and bottom for awhile and he lost his last one last week. He'll be 7 months old in a few days. He's also a small dog, a Cavalier x Bichon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found with any of my dogs, that they chewed a lot more than normal when they were teething... whether it was a toy, or your fingers. Lucy likes to chew a lot, so we got her some ropes and chew toys. We haven't noticed any blood spots either, so were really unsure. I'm sure when we take her to the vet tomorrow she will be able to tell us.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
are all dogs suppose to teeth? because my dog is 10 months old and l dont believe lve seen little teeth lying around my house ever..
You generally won't find puppy teeth lying around because unlike children who tend to spit out their baby teeth, pups tend to swallow theirs.

Actually, this is a good thing. They are hard to see and very sharp. Stepping on one with bare feet is like stepping on the edge of a razor blade - not a happy occasion.

Occasionally, one or more do not fall out on their own. If it's just one or two, your vet will generally remove them when your pup is under anesthesia for some other routine procedure such as a spay/ neuter or teeth cleaning. If it's a significant number, they will have to be removed as a separate procedure.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I actually -found- one of Zoey's teeth. I'm keeping it in a jar..............Is that gross? :-l
Not at all... I have 5 of Ruby's at the moment, but she is still teething so I may get more... I don't like the idea of throwing them away, and they are actually really cute!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not at all... I have 5 of Ruby's at the moment, but she is still teething so I may get more... I don't like the idea of throwing them away, and they are actually really cute!
Me too...I kept Stardust's baby teeth as well as three of my cats' kitten teeth. Not gross. They're my children! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts