Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

We are bringing home our new bichon shih tzu puppy soon,...and we have a few questions on supplies...?

Exercise Pens? Are they safe for small breeds? Is there any chance of it falling on the puppy (specifically when we are not home), if she is trying to jump up on the sides?

(We plan to kennel train her at night in our bedroom, and leave her in a exercise pen during the day, when we are not home (max. 2 hours)).

Outdoor booties? It is winter here, with a fair amount of snow,... she would not be outside for long, (only in our backyard to do her business), and we would be with her,..but we do not want her paws to get too cold. However we also do not want the booties to damage the proper development of her paws/walking, etc,...is there a chance of this happening?

Thank you in advance for all of your help :wave:

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Xpens are fine and if set up in a circle the puppy will not be able to pull it over on herself (though she may be able to climb out). Though I would recommend crating when you're gone at first. It helps immensely with potty training.

I haven't found booties to be necessary until the weather is below 10deg, and even then my dogs can go outside for a quick potty break and then back in. I wouldn't worry about it. If her coat is thin (as it probably will be when she's a pup) a coat will probably be more necessary.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts