Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Our family will be bringing home our very first puppy. (More specifically, a coton de tulear) and yes.. We are not buying from a BYB or puppy mill.

I am making a list of all the supplies we will need. I have a few questions.

For this dog breed, what size crate do we get? Can a puppy use the same crate until it is fully grown?
This is a long haired dog, what brushes and combs and grooming supplies can you recommend?
How do you trim the fur between paw pads?
I know there are a bazillion sites and threads (which I have seen) but what food works best for a small dog?
When should we start taking puppy for walks?
What age should we introduce puppy to new people and animals?
What kind(s) of collar do we use?
What age can we travel with puppy at? (we have vacations comng up next summer and we want to take puppy wih us.
Any other tips and products you recommend?

I intend to double check all questions on google, but I wanted some advice from people who seem more reliable and tustworthy than a google site...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy! I hope that I can help with at least some of your questions.

If you get a crate big enough then yes, your dog can use it until it's fully grown. I"d suggest getting a crate that comes with a divider and one size up than what's recommended. You can use the divider to make the crate small enough while the pup is being potty trained and then once he is old enough take the divider out so that he/she will have some extra room. As for an exact size, I have no idea.

As for fur between paw pads, if you're not going to take your pup to a groomer you can get some electric clippers and use them. The groomer where I work just kind of runs her clippers around the pads. It looks really simple and works really quickly.

A good high quality food will generally work best for a dog of any size. I'd suggest going to this site: www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ It's quite helpful!

You can start taking your puppy out for walks and introducing it to people and animals as soon as it has all of the puppy shots. It's unsafe to do so before the series of shots are finished.

I know that with longer haired dogs a rolled leather collar is better for the hair but seeing as you're getting a puppy you'll just want a regular puppy collar since it will soon grow out of the puppy collar.

That's all I have, I'm sure others will be able to contribute more.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If you are buying from a reputable breeder - they would be my first choice in answering most, if not all, the questions you just posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha. These dogs are high maintenance for grooming and it would get pretty expenive to take the dog to the groomers so often

Thank you for all your tips!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are buying from a reputable breeder - they would be my first choice in answering most, if not all, the questions you just posted.
I want to be sure I know what I am doing before we get our newest addition to the family. Less chance we do something stupid right from the start, haha!

·
Banned
241 Posts
Have some money set aside in an 'emergency fund' for the puppy before you bring it home...

With a young and untrained dog, something as simple as a bottlecap can be a very real problem if they eat it.

You could go with an emergency fund OR pet health insurance. Either way you go you WILL sleep better at night with your new puppy knowing that IF an accident was to happen - You WOULD be prepared for it and able to deal with it financially.

:wave:

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Just a couple of things to offer .... puppy proof ... puppy proof ... puppy proof! ... Just like you would child-proof your house. Also, keep a list on your refrigerator of the poison control number and of toxic foods and plants to avoid.

This is a great site for many of your needs ..... www.peteducation.com ... I use this all the time for information and to copy articles. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts