Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been impressed that my 8 month old puppy hasn't been much of a barker. But over the last few days, he is barking at every little noise that he hears. He used to be able to sit at the front door and watch people and other dogs walk by without a peep. Now he barks like crazy and wants to go outside and chase them. Even when we take walks now, he starts barking at people even without dogs - he never used to do this before. Does anyone know why this would have started out of nowhere? He did experience his first snow over the weekend, could that have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
278 Posts
it's not uncommon for dogs to start alert barking as they get older.
If something scared him (even if you didn't notice him get scared) that may have started it as well. My standard poodle started alert barking around 7ish months maybe or so, but he doesn't bark on walks (unless he really wants to go see someone but I won't let him then he can sometimes do an excited whine/bark.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Puppies grow up very fast. I think you are just seeing him develop into an adult.

Barking and reacting can be a pain in the neck, especially on walks. The best thing you can do is get him to turn and engage with you and make that engagement rewarding and fun. Change his mind about reacting. When you let him stop and look or just look, you allow him to think and then to react. Be proactive. If you are out walking and you see someone or something he wants to bark at, get him to refocus on you and engage with you. If he is allowed to just look, he will start to think and then he will react.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Snow had nothing to do with it. If it's an alarm bark, it may coincide with a fear cycle. If it's a friendly, "I want to play with you" bark, he may have found his voice. You might help him to make friends with more people, by letting people offer him some treats that you provide to them.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
every thing all ready said... and maybe something happen while you were not there. It's happen 3 times to me sudden extreme change of behavior both turned out to be neighbors messing with the dogs when they were secure in my house while I was at work or gone to town for supplies. The one on the military base was a child next door , dog suddenly started wanting to attack all kids at the sight of them .. Caught him in the act to know what it was. Same with my new property .. coming home with all my curtains pulled off the wall , caught them in the act, then at another time with a new pup started being extremely destructive shredding things. They were also caught.. After it stopped the dogs got better over time to go back to more normal.. Always helps to set up a security camera and see for yourself. Not the same world it use to be and it's so sad that dogs can be easy targets.. I hope it's just maturity ....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts