Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Puppy Suddenly Hates Crate Again

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  3GSD4IPO 
#1 ·
I had successfully trained my 12 week puppy to sleep soundly in her crate all night. I usually wake her up for a potty break around 3 every night then she goes back to sleep again right afterwards.

Tonight around 12am she starts whining (strangely early, she’s usually sound asleep by now) so I take her outside for a potty break. After putting her back in her crate she’s been whining for the past hour.

This is so disheartening. I was so relieved to be past the crying crate phase. Why is this happening??

#2 ·
One of my trainers told me once "don't make training a fight.." IOW's figure out a way to get what you want and have the dog want to do it! It was the BEST advice ever.

She is whining in the crate because she woke up, went potty and now wants activity. I would simply get a Kong and fill it with plain yogurt mixed with kibble and freeze it. When you take her out at night at a different time that usual, put the frozen Kong in the crate with her and go back to bed.

Is her crate in your room? If it is, it may be time to take it out of the bedroom. Just another thought.

Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.