Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the most part, my 4 month old female Shepard/Lab/Pittbull mix (Eeva) and our 4 year old male Mini Shnauzer (Beau) get along well.. They will share most toys and food as well as spend hours rolling around the house/yard.. Beau does like to remind her of his dominance when it comes to attention from my parents or table scraps (which my pup hasn't had any and won't).. Eeva is quick to roll on her back for him but she also pees to show she submits. My puppy is now banned to the basement because my mom is tired of cleaning up after her while I'm at work.. I recently started giving Beau a treat when Eeva and I greet him in the mornings and it helps take his attention away from her.. Is there anything that can be done to get her to stop peeing for him?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
How you and your Mom handle 'his dominance over her' is key. I assume you allow him to do that? That creates and reinforces the bully behavior. The hard part is catching the focus/attention (a 'hard' look) on her and interrupting before it escalates.
By interrupting, I mean stepping between them...showing Beau that Eeva is not his to dominate. No yelling, no corrections....just calmly getting between the two of them...make Beau step back just a little......that says he got the message.
The other thing that's likely to happen here is that she's going to stop submitting...she's coming out of puppyhood and will start to fight back. You let her do that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is, my parents are worried one will get badly hurt.. They're more worried about Beau because Eeva's gettin bigger than him although Beau has already injured her above her right eye.. Just a minor cut but it's probably goin to be a scar..

Also, my parents have a hard time understanding things I try to explain to them.. Especially about her jumping up.. My mom puts her hands out and shouts "down" repeatedly.. I told her to just turn around and walk away, but she replied with "and have her jump on my back!?" But she'll ask Beau for a "hug" which is him jumpin up (just not annoyingly)

I am startin to think it might be best to have them separated most of the time.. Eeva's learnin some bad habits off him anyway. She's been barking/growling at everything and everyone (even a few inanimate objects) but she'll calm down after gettin to smell someone or another dog.. It took her 10 mins or so to calm down at the vets office yesterday.. She also pulls strongly on the leash now from my parents walking them together.. Beau's always been a leash puller but he's a small dog and my parents like that it wears him out faster..

This is my first puppy and she's an Angel to me.. I see how well she has learned a few of the things I've trained her with.. and any flaws she might have with some of them are errors on mine/my parents' part. For example, she still doesn't quite have house training down.. I take her out frequently and praise her, but my parents were leaving the front door open expecting her to use the dog door as she pleases and then get mad when she'd go on the porch/in doorway. They gave her too much freedom too soon and didn't keep an eye on her enough.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hmm... This may sound odd, but there's a possibility that it's not exactly submissive peeing. You may want to have her tested for a urinary tract infection. It's common in puppies (and especially female puppies).

My Echo went through a period when she peed anytime she greeted someone. We had her tested, and sure enough- she had a UTI. The vet said that when dogs have a UTI, any emotional change can trigger the dog to pee without really meaning to. They can't control their bladder. Have you noticed her peeing more frequently? Drinking more water? Diluted pee?

It's a possibility to check out anyway. It could help your situation and make her feel much better if that happens to be the case.

Edited to add- after her UTI cleared up, the peeing stopped.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She does pee frequently when we're outside and tends to hog down water like she'll never see it again.. She rarely has an accident in the house when I'm watching her, and I'm sure she can hold it since I have been letting her have freedom of my bedroom overnight and haven't found any messes. She only does the dribbling when the other dog "snaps" at her.. When he does that, she rolls over on her back, flattens her ears and puts her tail between her legs..

Actually, Saturday she had gotten her last booster shot and the next two mornings I woke up to runny poo mess.. Fortunately for my room and clean up, she went into her opened crate to do that.. I would've preferred for her to have woken me up though.. How do puppies learn to let someone know when they need out? I've heard of the bell on the door thing, but I am pretty sure my puppy would just play with it too much. She loves things with sounds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also think that there is a need for your to diagnose her for some physiological disorder. My neighbor had had case like yours with her female dog. Her redemption came via medical inspection of the urinary organs. Though that may not be the case with your dog. But you can give it a trial.

Above all and beyond, a well trained dog may grow to overcome that behavior. Persistent care in corection may make a difference. give it a trial.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I am startin to think it might be best to have them separated most of the time..
Good idea. And when you're home, you can get between Eva and Beau when Beau starts his bully behavior, as Tooney suggested. She'll soon be old enough to be fine in her crate (in your room) while you're gone from the house. Keep up the good work! It IS possible to have a well behaved/trained dog even when another family member's dog isn't so well behaved/trained! (Been there, done that!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts