Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a little concerned about Joey's, (10 week old Mini Aussie), behavior today while visiting a friend who has an 8 year old Shih tzu, named Harry. Harry was very possessive of his toys and food and sniped at Joey a few times. Nothing serious. I figured it would put Joey in his place and that would that. But Joey made several attempts to get at Harry's food and Harry nipped at him again, a little more seriously. We put the food up and the toys away to settle things down. Joey continued to jump around Harry and it was clear that Harry just wanted him to go away but Joey didn't seem to want to back down.
Should I be concerned? What should I do when he doesn't "get it". He's young, I know, and he seems okay with other dogs, but if there's cause for concern I would like to know. Harry is known to run his household so maybe it was just Harry being Harry. Should Joey know to back away? Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Harry is teaching Joey to back away. I have raised two foster litters past 12 weeks of age and amongst them were my older dogs. The older dogs teach the lessons and with some pups they have to be taught numerous times, just as with many young people.:) Sometimes they need a good tooth spanking (not actually a bite but a smack) before they choose to learn. Joey will learn to back away, but it should not be expected that he should 'know' to back away at this age. Many pups pester and pester and pester . . . it is what pups do. If you know the older dog is trustable not to go too far it shouldn't be a worry. If you don't know that then the smart thing to do is put food and toys etc. away and keep a close eye.

My most sociable and all around trustable dog is one I raised from puppyhood and she was also an incredible pest to other dogs, taking much longer than she should have to 'get it'.

SOB

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I had kind of forgotten how relentless puppies can be at play. Harry runs his household and I'm not 100% trustworthy of him so the toys and food will be put away next time. He's very good with other dogs when we walk with a dog walking group, (about 8 to 12 dogs), but he has been known to get aggressive with bigger dogs. Obviously fear... I'm really hoping that I'll be able to take the two of them walking with the group in a few weeks. We walk for an hour and that might be a little too much for little Joey quite yet. Won't be long though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts