Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delicious, delicious puppy smells?

I've googled around and I searched the forums to see if anyone has mentioned this... I'm starting to believe that Murphy is an anomaly. See, whenever he is tired, or has just woken up from a nap, his muzzle smells STRONGLY of either sugar cookies or syrupy waffles. It's this sweet carby delicious aroma that makes me want to eat him up. It's amazing.

Does anyone know why this is? Or when it fades? I assume it goes away, as I've never encountered a dog who didn't smell like, well, dog. And I wonder why it's only when he is tired or recently up from a nap. And why it's concentrated on his face, but not his breath or his head. It has faded a little over time, as in the first few weeks it was so strong that when we'd open his crate in the morning I could swear he was up all night baking cookies. But still, I lean in to love on him, and bam. Hit with a wall of delicious doggy smell.

Maybe I shouldn't ask. Maybe I should sit here and dream that it lasts forever...

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I have never heard of a pup smelling like sugar cookies. That is awesome! I do however remember the wonderful smell of my Collie's newborn pups ... ahhhh .... take me back home about 40 some years. :) Puppy smells are awesome .

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yup, it's affectionately called "puppy breath", and sometimes smells really nice. Sometimes not so much. Maggie's breath started out like sweet Coffee and then turned into tuna fish before finally going away.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Our 11 month old puppy smells like chocolate sometimes. It's the craziest thing. She's never even gotten near chocolate but she does have a very sweet smell. It's not puppy breath. Sadly, that faded months ago. This is a sweet smell that both hubs and I agree is like chocolate.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ha! I didn't have my dog as a puppy, and he certainly doesn't smell like sugar cookies or waffles now (although that would be nice). This thread reminds me of one awhile back where several DFers swore that their dogs' feet smelled like Fritos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts