Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vet has a set of shots lined up for my puppy.
DHLP - LEPTO
Kennel Cough (Bordatella)
Rabies
Deworm (tapes)

They also offer the following.
Rattlesnake
Lyme Disease

I enjoy hiking in my local mountains and I do plan on taking my puppy with me when she gets older.
But I didn't know that rattlesnake bites can be prevented with a shot, is that possible?
Are these shots, rattlesnake and lyme shots something I should also consider?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
What breed is the puppy? How big?

Lepto isn't recommend for small dogs, as they have a high incidence of bad reactions. You probably will want to get it for a larger hiking companion, but be aware the vaccine is limited in its efficacy and doesn't protect against all strains.

You don't need to get her a bordetella vaccine unless you'll be boarding her or taking her to doggie daycare.

Unless you see evidence of her having tapeworm, there's really no point in treating her for it. It's not a preventive vaccine, it's just an injectable de-wormer.

Lyme vaccine is hotly debated. It doesn't always work and may cause a bad reaction. You have to weigh the incidence of Lyme in your area against the risks of the vaccine, and still take steps to prevent tick bites.

I don't know much about the rattlesnake vaccine. Of course it doesn't prevent bites but I think it's supposed to lessen the effects of the venom. Ask your vet for more details, look it up online, etc.

Of course the rabies and Distemper/Parvo vaccines are very necessary.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I made a mistake, I meant DHPP not DHLP

The puppy is Retriever/Shepherd and she should get as big as 70 to 80 lbs.

In regards to de-worming, how do you know if the puppy has worms?
I had the impression that you don't know if the puppy has worms, so you just get the meds.

Since I am not hiking with her immediately, I probably don't have to worry too much about rattlesnake or Lyme.

In the event my dog gets Lyme disease, what are the symptoms to this disease?

What breed is the puppy? How big?

Lepto isn't recommend for small dogs, as they have a high incidence of bad reactions. You probably will want to get it for a larger hiking companion, but be aware the vaccine is limited in its efficacy and doesn't protect against all strains.

You don't need to get her a bordetella vaccine unless you'll be boarding her or taking her to doggie daycare.

Unless you see evidence of her having tapeworm, there's really no point in treating her for it. It's not a preventive vaccine, it's just an injectable de-wormer.

Lyme vaccine is hotly debated. It doesn't always work and may cause a bad reaction. You have to weigh the incidence of Lyme in your area against the risks of the vaccine, and still take steps to prevent tick bites.

I don't know much about the rattlesnake vaccine. Of course it doesn't prevent bites but I think it's supposed to lessen the effects of the venom. Ask your vet for more details, look it up online, etc.

Of course the rabies and Distemper/Parvo vaccines are very necessary.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If your dog has tapeworms, you can see litttle things that look like dried rice around her anus. Tapeworms aren't as common as regular roundworms, and I don't see any point in treating a dog who doesn't have tapeworm. I agree that giving a regular de-wormer (pyrantel pamoate) on a regular basis is a good idea, even without the dog showing signs. But praziquantel (tapeworm med) is hard on the system and should only be used as needed. The injectable has inflammatory effects and has caused vaccine-site sarcoma in cats, so maybe that's coloring my opinion. I'm not sure if it causes the same problem in dogs. If I were going to give praziquantel I would give it orally.

I don't know the symptoms of Lyme, sorry. We don't have it where I live. I'm sure Google knows :D.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
How old is she (pictures?) Ask the Vet, but I think deworming for a pup with an unknown history is a good thing to do. If you know the history, ask anyway. Like Willowy said tapeworm may not be needed, but you may be exposed to hook, round, and whip worms ... depending on your location.

I think the typical first symptom of Lyme in dogs is lameness that can come and go over the space of days to weeks. I believe that its transmitted by tick, but you don't necessarily need to see the tick. If she goes somewhere where is exposure is possible, and starts limping for no reason, it's a good idea to ask the Vet about Lyme.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts