Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone :wave:

I literally have so many questions I'm starting to feel bad about asking my breeder since I know she's very busy. I asked for an exact date as to when my new puppy will be shipped and she told me no earlier than 8 weeks (Nov.20), however, she also told me the puppy will be shipped COD.

If I'm correct, I know this term to mean "collect on delivery", and I was wondering (a) how the heck does that apply for a puppy? LOL (b) what if I forgot to bring money with me or something happened that I couldn't pay as soon as when puppy got there-not that I would but for this question's sake so then, (c)would he sit and wait in the plane or in the airport?

I'm concerned since it might be really cold in Kentucky by then and I just really want to be prepared!

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Have you already paid a deposit?

While I haven't shipped a puppy, I have worked in business long enough to know that COD is a financially risky move unless it is something being delivered personally by the seller or courier. As in, anything actually being shipped (cargo, post office etc) is generally paid upfront and including payment for shipping costs. The breeder would be risking the full price of shipping the puppy to you AND back to her if you did not pay aside from the logistical problems of getting a dog back on another flight.

Who is supposed to collect this money on delivery? Is the puppy flying as carry-on baggage with the breeder or someone the breeder knows who is then supposed to exchange pup for money? If the puppy is going as checked luggage, who would be there to get your cash?

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Never feel bad about asking your breeder.......... ASK...... and don't get off the phone until every detail is answered for you.. and ask quickly I would rather loose a deposit for not picking up a red flag earlier,, then go through a nightmare... Never done the COD,, always been informed of every detail and arrangement (flight numbers/times/airlines pet service 800 number) and cost well upfront and have paid well in advance to cover those exact expenses.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It's cold in Kentucky NOW. (says me who is sitting in a furry coat inside)

Don't be afraid to ask your breeder stuff. If it was me, I would feel better if my potential buyers wanted to be as prepared as possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's cold in Kentucky NOW. (says me who is sitting in a furry coat inside)

Don't be afraid to ask your breeder stuff. If it was me, I would feel better if my potential buyers wanted to be as prepared as possible.
Yep! I have nothing else to add except that it is already cold here! 45° right now in the afternoon, with a freeze warning tonight! Ugh, I hate KY weather.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shell

Yes, I have already paid a deposit fee. I was shocked when she said it because I felt like it is pretty risky on her part - but I guess she trusts me, which is good. We haven't talked much in detail about the shipping arrangements yet so I don't know who's collecting the money, maybe the airline? I've been doing research on how puppies are shipped and most say cargo, and I think it's illegal for the puppy to go as checked luggage now - so I'm assuming cargo.

She's been breeding for over 10 years and told me on that she's shipped puppies on multiple occasions so I feel like she knows what she's doing, but I'm new to all of this so I figured I'd ask here to get more info before I go and bombard her with more questions lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PatriciafromCo,

I've been on the phone twice with her, but I prefer facebook because 1) it seems I can never get my questions out the way I want them to lol 2) she's also a boarding kennel so it can get pretty loud on the phone. She tells me to ask questions anytime, but I always like to play it by ear just in case lol. I planned on giving her the payment upfront as well, but maybe she is just doing COD for shipping fees.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep! I have nothing else to add except that it is already cold here! 45° right now in the afternoon, with a freeze warning tonight! Ugh, I hate KY weather.
I know it's ridiculous! Earlier this morning was just awful lol I hope it's not this cold when my new pup gets here :(

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
You'll definitely want to get clear information on the payment, pickup and general travel arrangements. I can't imagine the airline themselves would have anything to do with payment to the breeder; they'd want the shipment charges to have already been paid and I doubt they'd want to have any part of the private business transaction of the remainder payment for the pup.

Each airline has different policies for animals, particularly the temperature ranges that a dog or cat can travel. It isn't illegal for a puppy to go as checked luggage, it is just that animals being shipped without an accompanying passenger would be cargo (and usually giant sized kennels must go as cargo vs checked luggage).

For example, for Delta Airlines
"will not accept animals as checked baggage during extreme weather, if at any point (origin/transit/destination) during the animal's trip the high temperature for the day is forecast to be: (no exceptions to the temperature restriction) Below 10°F (-12C) Above 85°F (29.4C)"
(The same temps apply to animals travelling as cargo)

American Airlines Cargo
45 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit:

We are pleased to accept warm-blooded animals and birds for transport if the actual or forecasted temperature in each city along the way is between 45 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. However, 85 degrees Fahrenheit is the maximum limit no matter what.

20 to 45 Degrees Fahrenheit

You will need a Certificate of Acclimation if the actual or forecasted temperature in any city along the way is below 45 degrees Fahrenheit. It must be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian and dated within 10 days of travel for both the departure and return trips and include the shipper's name and address, type of animal and the specific low temperature that the animal can withstand. In fact, your pet will not be allowed to travel if your document doesn't state a specific low temperature.
Edit to add:

You'll also want to know WHERE at the airport you'll need to go because often cargo shipments of live animals go to a different place than regular cargo shipments.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Since the weather is so cold, have you thought about using a ground shipper? That way they are in a temp. controlled vehicle, and they are safer IMHO. I won't fly a dog, because I am a nervous nelly, and I hear way to many horror stories. I have a ground shipper that I know well, and trust very much if I ever needed to ship a dog.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I'd probably just drive back and forth if the one-way distance can be done in a day. Drive there on a Saturday, cheap hotel, pick up puppy first thing in the A.M. on Sunday and drive home in one long go.
Being super careful about potty breaks of course-- picking areas with likely few or no dogs around (NOT rest stops) and putting down a pee pad so the pup's feet never touch the ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts