Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you've seen the other forums, you know we have an 11wk aussie puppy, doing all the normal puppy things...but in general, he's been great, and is really fun to have around and show the world to...

The problem that i noticed today when i took him out at lunch was that he was in his stance like he was going to poop, but it took him about 2min before he finally did (usually its pretty instant once he assumes the stance), and then he scooted around on the grass a bit and kinda whining...I checked out the results of his effort and it seemed normal...not loose or hard. I was under the impression that only adult dogs have problems with anal glands, so im not sure whats up....

we were going to take him to the vet to get it checked out, but by evening, he went again, and everything seemed normal...should we go to the vet anyway, or should we only be concerned if this is an ongoing event?

thanks

Doug

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The best thing to do is at least phone the vet and ask him/her if it would be best to bring the pup in or wait and see if it was a one time or ongoing behavior.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree with Skelaki. Take the pup to the Vet. His anal glands probably need to be expressed and drained. If you ask the Vet I'm sure he or she will show you how to do the draining yourself. word of Advice....DONT....DONT.....DONT get any of that stuff that comes out on you or your clothes. From what I've heard it reallllyyy smells.

·
Registered
41 Posts
young pup's usually don't have anal gland issue's. My dog doe's that every now and then too we call it the "circus dance" lol It's common if they have worms (I'm not sure what kind though). when I bought my dog he was dewormed three times. I took him to the vet and had a stool sample tested because of this dance and vet said no worms but she gave him a worming again just incase. My dog still does this once and a while and he is two yrs old now.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
For an 11wk old pup, the chances are that it's worms and not an A/G issue. You should be able to take in a fresh stool sample to your vet. If there is anything in his stool the vet can prescribe the necesary meds. If the sample is negative then keep an eye on your pup and if the symptoms persist then take him in for a check up. The youngest dog I've ever seen needing to have it's A/G's expressed was 10 months old.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Also check to make sure he doesn't have any fecal matter stuck in his hair on his bottom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts