Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently got a 4.5 month old dachshund, George, from a breeder in the suburbs. I live in a city area where the streets are mostly lined with townhouses, and there are is a park in the area where several dogs play.

Though George is fairly assertive in the house (when I'm around at least) he seems to be terrified of the city. I try to take him for walks, but he freezes up and sits down. He does a little bit of sniffing around just outside our front door if i first sit with him for awhile.

My method thus far has been to take him out front onto the street for 10 or 15 minutes about 2-3 times a day.

I really want to be able to walk/run him and take him to the park.

Any help would be great... Thanks.

-trent

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hello All,

I recently got a 4.5 month old dachshund, George, from a breeder in the suburbs. I live in a city area where the streets are mostly lined with townhouses, and there are is a park in the area where several dogs play.

Though George is fairly assertive in the house (when I'm around at least) he seems to be terrified of the city. I try to take him for walks, but he freezes up and sits down. He does a little bit of sniffing around just outside our front door if i first sit with him for awhile.

My method thus far has been to take him out front onto the street for 10 or 15 minutes about 2-3 times a day.

I really want to be able to walk/run him and take him to the park.

Any help would be great... Thanks.

-trent
Just keep doing what you are already. One other thing is you can start feeding his meals outdoors. Is there a game he likes to play? If so you can play it outdoors with him. He'll come around - just a matter of time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies thus far...

Should I continue trying to walk him, even though he is pulling back on the leash the entire time?

I'm trying to find the balance between giving him too much power, as far as leaving the stoop when he wants to and bringing me with him, and getting him to walk with me, without dragging him along.

Thanks...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would take high value treats with me and lure him forward a few steps whenever he stops, talking to him in a high pitched happy voice as you do it. Something that worked with my puppy when she would get scared would be to kiss at her twice, and then give her a couple of quick snaps with the leash (she wears a harness so it's not on her neck) if she didn't start walking. Usually that would be enough to get here moving again and then sometimes I would need to use food to lure her forward.

After she learned that it was good to go forward when I kissed to her and then tugged I would be able to keep her going by kissing to her before she stopped and praising her when she kept going without having to tug or use food.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Just take it slow... there is no need to hurry. The world is a big place, and that is very intimidating to a puppy. Inside, there is a protective roof over its head and clearly defined boundaries (walls). Outside, it's very open, and there are lots of strange sounds. A puppy's instinct is to stay close to the home.

Take some yummy treats (small bits of cheese/hotdog, etc) and stand outside the house. Let the puppy investigate. Give treats and praise when the pup investigates away from you. If the pup is only comfortable to sit near your feet, that is fine for a few days.

As the pup gets more confident, try walking a few paces up and down the sidewalk. You may not get very far, but with each outing the pup should gain confidence. Take this opportunity to treat and praise for walking beside you. Don't drag the dog, though... the puppy is showing you in the only way it knows how that it is scared and overwhelmed. Try walking in the opposite direction, or try pulling out a squeaky toy or tug toy and getting the pup excited in that.

I'm sure you will have a confident dog in no time!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Our first sheltie spent the first four months of his life on a quiet farm, so coming to us in suburbia was a bit of a shock. He was terrified of fire hydrants and green garbage bags. :)

I think we just encouraged him to "go see" and gave him a treat for checking things out.

With my girl I have now, I usually take her tennis ball or another toy with us if I know she'll have a hard time with her surroundings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies thus far...

Should I continue trying to walk him, even though he is pulling back on the leash the entire time?

I'm trying to find the balance between giving him too much power, as far as leaving the stoop when he wants to and bringing me with him, and getting him to walk with me, without dragging him along.

Thanks...
The solution to that is to train your dog. Dogs are like people: they do not like to be pushed. If you push against your dog's chest, he will push back. It's instinct. That's great if you're driving a team of sled dogs - but not if you are trying to walk an untrained dog. The more a dog's collar presses into his neck as she merrily bounces forward, the harder she'll pull away. He can't help himself. http://www.dogtwist.com/07-001.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts