Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kessel runs and hides when other dogs bark, including our own dogs. She doesn't cower or act terrified out of her mind. She just runs for cover, then looks towards the barking. She will come to me if I get her down and call her, also she has started to run to me now when startled/frightened instead of always hightailing it for cover. She was born to a farm dog, TONS of dogs just running around, so I figure she probably learned early that barking dogs are best gotten out of the way of? She is only ten weeks old, a baby. I'm sure if was still with her momma she'd be running to her when she got scared or anxious. The question is how concerned should I be over this behaviour, if at all? I am slightly concerned (or I wouldn't be writing this). The fact that she doesn't cower, whimper, she does come to me, and she does seem interested in the commotion, not trying to bury her head away from it, just doesn't want to be in the open, and that otherwise she cautiously checks everything else out in the house/outside makes me think it's nothing to worry about. She only runs and hides when she hears dogs barking. She wasn't scared of my dogs when we brought her home (a 4 lb Chihuahua and a 98 lb Lab mix) & wasn't scared of my friend's four month old puppy who's roughly double her size at all either. Today we're going to the hardware store just to socialize her. Plan is to just carry her around the store for a few minutes so she can see the world around her and then bring her home (actually would prefer it if people didn't pet her but I'm sure someone will ask to).

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Geeeze I know of some grown men that run when a dog barks:) Relax and act normal so as to not make pup think there is something to be scared of. As you said she is a baby, if you just got her then she is also in a new place, don't rush her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts