Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!! I have a 12 week old male goldendoodle puppy and am having a major housetraining issue: during the day he will occasionally run into the crate and pee. I've managed to control most of the household accidents, simply by taking him out 4-5 times in a row after he eats or wakes up from a nap. My big concern is peeing in his crate. At night he won't whine to get out, even after 5 hours in there. He's only pooped once in the house, and he even ran to the door this morning to go out and poop (we took him out and he did!).

He does love to drink, and I am thinking about getting a urine screen to test for kidney issues (he will pee 20+ times per day, easily). It's hard to limit his water intake, since he eats snow outside. His poop has also been soft, but I attribute that to the training treats (Hill's Science treats) which he was probably getting too many of. I am clicker training him, as I did my last dog, so there are lots of rewards for going in his spot outside, walking well on the leash, etc. Other than the crate, the household accidents are not happening in the same location repeatedly. Also cleaning up after with Nature's Miracle. I have fed him in his crate too.

Can anyone offer advice? I'm at a loss. This pup gets a lot of love and positive reinforcement, and has an amazingly calm and affectionate disposition. But my last dog had maybe 3 accidents in the house ever, and I am having 3 per day.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Definately the vet check! In the meantime, control the water intake until you can get a handle on the potty training. As for the treats, you might want to use something that is moister...diced hot dogs, spray or string cheese, etc.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I would NOT limit the water intake until you know you AREN'T dealing with kidney/liver issues. Just in case.

On the soft poops, I'd tr ysomething different for treats. What about frozen biljac? It's an ALS food but most dogs LOVE it, so you can use it as a treat.

I'd also start to stop the crate peeing by keeping his crate closed when he's not in it, and I'd consider finding a different way to confine him, because it sounds like he may just not have any real instinct to keep clean. http://dogstaracademy.wordpress.com/2008/05/06/crate-soilin/ is an article I wrote about some strategies for dealing with this.

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
he will pee 20+ times per day, easily
To me, this screams infection. He shouldn't have to go that often. I definitely wouldn't restrict his water right now and I would get him to a vet very soon to check for an infection. Hopefully that's all it is and things will improve very soon :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts