Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have 2 Australian Shepherds, one male 7 months(neutered) and one female 10 weeks. We just brought the 10week old pup home this week.
Our boy has never once showed agressive behavior. He has been socialized with a ton of dogs and humans as we made a point to take him to a busy dog park. We also take him everywhere with us. He does play rough with other dogs but I’ve never seen another dog “put him in his place.”

The problem.
Our girl started playing with our boy and then he became rough she yelped and ran away and he continued to try and play, chasing her, I immediately separated them. Now our little girl is scared of him. She runs away from him if he shows any signs of being playful. I thought maybe it was a one time thing so I started to try and get her comfortable playing with him again. This time I stayed close in case things got out of hand. She yelped again and he tried to continue again playing again despite her loud yelp. I grabbed him before he could tho.

Other than playing he is very sweet to her. And she isn’t scared of him until he starts to “act playful”

I’m frustrated, of course I want them to play. I know he is still very much a puppy. Our boy has never met such a little puppy before.

HELP!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Separate the dogs until the puppy grows up a bit more. Let them visit supervised but, as soon as the older dog wants to play and roughhouse, separate them.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
He’s overwhelming her, and it’s scaring her. The more you try and force it, the more scared she is going to get. Keep them separated unless you are right on top of them, and at the first sign of her starting to get worried, separate them.

Also, look up littermate syndrome. They are close enough in age for it to be a problem. It’s one of the main reasons that it’s jot recommended to have two dogs so close in age.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
He’s overwhelming her, and it’s scaring her. The more you try and force it, the more scared she is going to get. Keep them separated unless you are right on top of them, and at the first sign of her starting to get worried, separate them.

Also, look up littermate syndrome. They are close enough in age for it to be a problem. It’s one of the main reasons that it’s jot recommended to have two dogs so close in age.
Ditto.

And, you probably have not seen another dog "put him in his place" because he still has his puppy license. As in, he is young enough that adult dogs put up with his bad manners but sometime soonish, they likely will not. So aside from him playing wth new pup, have caution at dog parks etc where rudeness might soon get him into a scrape.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I’m in a different situation but with a similar size problem; I already had a 1.5yr old little Pomchi and then took in a 1yr old huge amstaff rescue... my amstaff gets really carried away and rough playing which stresses the Pomchi out (obviously!), instead of crying though he snaps and goes for the bigger one which escalates them both further.

Separation and supervision is really key: I have baby gates around so whenever I go out they can still have contact but can’t physically get to each other...even when I’m home and can’t supervise them 100% they’re either separated or sometimes, what I’ve actually found helped heaps, I have the big one on a long tether - he can get pretty much anywhere on the first floor with it except for the front room so the little one knows he can escape there if needed, they’re able to to totally interact and it gives me easier control if things get out of hand.

We’re also training ‘gentle’ and ‘enough’; they get rewarded for positive, calm interactions and, when I sense they’re getting excited (watch the body language, you will know the signs), they stop when I say enough... honestly the second one is harder - you know yourself with puppies its tough to get them to listen when excited, you just need to be really really persistent.

It’s tough going and I honestly don’t see me leaving them unsupervised together until they’re out the puppy stage but these things have definitely made it a lot more manageable and less stressful (for me as much as them!) so I hope it helps :) Keep us updated and feel free to shout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
When you put two puppies together one is always the loser. Even when they seem OK that is what happens. I never let my puppies together with other dogs for this reason. I want my puppy to think he is always the winner (and that is important for what I want them to do later in life).

In your case you have a little baby and an older kid. They are herding dogs so the older kid herds the baby and the baby is too much a baby to defend herself. At this point separate the two dogs and work with each separately. Train each separately so they look to you and bond with you and not each other. Let them be close to each other but separated by gates, cages,X pens and fences. When the youngest dog is a year old, try again with supervised time together. Because the older dog is a male and the younger one is female it should be "ok" tho you may still have them trying to herd each other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts