Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benji is starting to become difficult... It started recently... when I would come home from class/work he'd scream when I put him in his area to eat. Originally the area was supposed to be where he was crated but he climbs out with ease... I've ALWAYS used this area to feed him though. I was trying to associate it with something good (like the crate).

Now when I put him in there he will not touch his food. If it's in my hand he will eat but he won't if its just in there.

For those who are going to say find a new place to feed him... He eats raw and this is the only tiled part of my house that I can block off so he can't get to the white carpet... I've tried feeding him in a different area and he finds his way onto the carpet every time...

When I take him out all he does is sit next to me. Right now for example... He hasn't eaten since last night so i know he's hungry. He'll try to climb out to get to me and then wine about being hungry.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I would say tough luck and offer the food where you want him to eat it. If he doesn't pull it up and try again later. Most paps are finicky eaters if you let them be. I ran into a lot of trouble with that when I first got Summer and then when I switched Summer to raw. She finally got the idea that if she didn't eat now she wasn't going to eat.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I've been doing. And it's so weird because if you remember a post I had before he would attack food. He was a great eater and would barely let me get it out of my hand....

Is it okay to skip measls at his age and size? He's still under 3lbs and 17 weeks.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
What you can also try is this: feed your dog in the normal spot and stay there with him as he eats it. Let your dog know you're there with him. Keep doing this for awhile and then when he eats, slowly move away from him. If he spots you, freeze and come back. Then keep on slowly removing yourself from the room until he can eat on his own. I did this with one dog (I think it was my grandmother's dog) and it worked. It takes a heck of a lot of time, but if you're patient enough it'll work.

·
Registered
703 Posts
This sounds like a great strategy.

We actually always stay with our dogs the whole time they eat, for lots of reasons.

What you can also try is this: feed your dog in the normal spot and stay there with him as he eats it. Let your dog know you're there with him. Keep doing this for awhile and then when he eats, slowly move away from him. If he spots you, freeze and come back. Then keep on slowly removing yourself from the room until he can eat on his own. I did this with one dog (I think it was my grandmother's dog) and it worked. It takes a heck of a lot of time, but if you're patient enough it'll work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This sounds like a great strategy.

We actually always stay with our dogs the whole time they eat, for lots of reasons.
I stay with him but on the other side of the gate... I tried standing in the gate with him but the area is small and I end up with raw meat on me!

I will try working on this but once I'm on the other side of the gate he jus looks up at me... And thats the first step I have to take...

I started giving him treats and stuffed Kongs only in that area and he's been fine... but I've also been home all weekend. This is mostly an issue when I'm coming hime from class and work. The problem is more so that he hasn't seen me for 4 hours and rather be playing than eating... I think its time to start skipping lunch so that by dinner time he's hungry and will be more focused on eating than me!

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
He misses you!! Do you have to feed him right away? Can you play with your pup or walk him first? That way he'll know you're still with him and as you feed him, he'll be content to know you're not going anywhere. Also keep to the method above too; I learned it from a good trainer (well saw it on tv and read her book).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I take him for a 30 min walk as soon as I get home... I have to he's been cooped up for 4 hours! I've been sitting with him until he started eating and he just lays in my lap... if I stand he just lays on my feet... Sigh. I put a treat in it and he starts eating... Lunch he won't but dinner he will... So I'm going to sit with him.... and just skip lunch if needed... If it persists for 2 weeks I'll just take him for an hour long walk, play and then go to class and feed him when I get home for dinner.

Thanks for all the suggestions... =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts