Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
A few little questions about my 15 week-old puppy.

1) Should I stop giving her rawhide? For the first month it was a lifesaver because she would chew it and chew it and actually swallow very little of it. But now when I give her a stick or a strip she eats the whole thing extremely fast. Should I switch to non-consumables? She has a kong that i often fill with cream cheese, but I worry about doing that too much as well. I just don't want to be overfeeding her.

2) Is it normal for a puppy's frequency of urination to decrease around this age? She seems to be going much less often, and when I do take her out she takes a much longer time to actually decide to go. She also seems to be having more accidents inside. She does have puppy vaginitis which the vet wants me to keep clean and monitor, so I just want to make sure this is normal and not a medical problem.

3) She's still waking up at 5:45 every day (no matter what time she goes to bed). I need to sleep for a bit longer, and if I put her back in her crate after I let her out to pee, she'll bark for 20 minutes before going back to sleep. Because I have a roommate, this is not an option. So I've been putting her in bed with me and she sleeps well there for another hour or so. Is it a huge mistake to allow her to spend her mornings in bed with me? I don't want to do anything I'll regret in the long term, but I needed a solution for the morning barking.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would cut out the rawhide and maybe look at nyla bones? Or even Deer Antlers. My dog doesnt really pay attention to it, but my moms dog who is a big chewer, LOVES the deer antler.
As for the Kong, I wouldn't be filling it with cream cheese too often since it's not very healthy, but think about pumpkin (canned pumkin, not pumpkin pie), and plain yogurt. Both of which are pretty healthy. I sometimes put a mix of pumpkin, yogurt, and peanut butter and freeze it. That keeps him busy, and it's not too terrible for him once in a while.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You can also fill the Kong with unsweetened applesauce. Plain yogurt is good too. Or a little bit of unsalted peanut butter. Or some moistened kibble. Definitely freeze it! Freezing is key.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts