Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Jessica. I am a first time puppy owner. Daisy is an 8 week old German Shepard/German Short Haired Pointer, Ive had her for about 5 days. She has 2 crates, one small size (enough room to stand up turn around and lay down) and one large one. She hasn't left my side since I got her- she sleeps in my bed and I take her with me everywhere . Im either playing with her or holding her- she is a very happy and playful pup.

Here is the issue:

She is very good with eliminating outside. There have been a few accidents, so I take her outside. I need to be able to leave her in the crate and/or outside when I'm not able to watch her. I put toys in her crates, left a treat in them- she goes inside for just a few minutes and I say "good girl, thats your room". I know not to use the crate as a punishment. Basically, she loves to play outside or go potty ONLY if I'm there. Ive left her outside a few times (to shower or something). The longest I left her was about 40 min, and the ENTIRE time she cried, yelped, barked, and whined at the door because I wasn't there. Its so loud- it just breaks my heart! Same with the crate, about 20-30 min and the same thing happens, she wines and cries.

I do ignore her, but she literally will not potty, play, explore, or anything at all unless I'm there. She uses all of her energy crying, and when I let her in, she just comes in and pees inside. It really upsets her.

Just today, she peed on the floor. I took her outside for a half hour, but she didn't go. I needed to shower and get ready so I left her outside. When I was done, I went outside with her to play a bit and see if she would pee but she didn't. When I brought her back in she peed on the carpet.

I feel like leaving her outside is counter-productive. However, I know she needs to be able to stay outside or in a crate. What should I do?? Help!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
She's eight weeks old, and pups that young definitely do not want to be separated from the "pack." This is something that just takes time as the puppy develops confidence. For now, I would leave her in the crate while you shower, then take her outside.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
i agree. when puppies are that young they have an innate fear of being alone. work on the crate training more... you will just have to listen to the crying. Maybe for a few weeks keep her close by in the crate... i would keep bella's crate in the bathroom or just outside and popped my head out periodically (when she wasnt crying) to let her know i was near.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
A third agreement. When outside, puppies are in a very vulnerable position while going potty and can be reluctant to go if no one is watching their back. Some even need the cover of bushes or shrubs to hide their vulnerability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.