Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my gf's parents recieved a Norfolk Terrier, and only he is like 2 or 3wks old, and their to subborn to take him back to his mother. Well I want to know what should they be doing for him(no name yet)? and he seems a little constipated, I mean he pees, and poops very little. They are giving him Esbilac puppy formula(powder), and massaging his tummy. I did notice that when he was pooping that he was whinny a bit, is that normal? What else should they be doing for him.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well I don't know why someone was giving away 2-3 week old pups because that is just awful... nothing will be the same for them as their mother would be. I have never hand fed/raised a baby pup but have a kitten. On kittens you have to rub their butt, and their privates to help them go potty. They can't go on their own... if they were still with their mom she would lick those places for them. He/she will die or could become severely ill if this is not done. I would either consult a vet or at least look up some information online on how to properly take care of a baby pup. At the same time you could do everything possible but the pup still may not make it. I hope everything turns out okay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have nursed newborn puppies several times over the years, and a very important part of this is helping them to relieve themselves. I have found that the best way to do this is to take a warm washcloth and gently rub their bottoms with it. This is similar feeling to their mother's tongue. He will go potty while you are doing it. Do it gently, not too hard. Also, young puppies like this need to be eating every 3 hours around the clock. So please make sure that they are also waking up during the night to feed him. They are just like infants, and need 24/7 care. A predictable schedule of feeding/pottying every 3 hours around the clock will also help regulate his digestive process. This might help with the issues he is having. The formula they are using is just fine - as long as they are mixing it correctly, and keeping it fresh at every feeding. Formula that is not fresh can cause all kinds of gastrointestinal problems including gas, bloating, etc. I hope this helps! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts