Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20 week old blue pit puppy. I got her when she was 4 weeks old due to problems with the mom, and it has been one expensive problem after another since then. But I have a nagging that tells me there is something really wrong and my vet dismisses it.

My dog is very hot to the touch. The white on her body looks pink because she is so red. Her temp is higher than norm when we go to the vet but it is passed off as South Florida heat. I know its not. My house stays 72-74, my air runs all the time. When we go anywhere with the dogs I always cool the car off first.

The main thing that worries me about this is my dogs uber aggression! Since we got her, at 4 weeks, she has been so agressive and biting. When we get on to her or tell her know it turns it up a notch. I dont smack my dog, but I tried the rolled up newspaper thing and that just amplified her aggression. We are going through training, and 10% of the time, she will do the steps, but most of the time she just uses us like a chew toy no matter what toys we offer her.

My thoughts is that the temp issue and the behavior are some how related. I have searched and searched and I cannot find a disorder where a dog has a constant elevated temp or that it has any effect on their mental status.

I have brought it up to my vet and before I change vets, I want to make sure I am not making something out of nothing.

Any advise is soooooo appreciated.

Kimberly ~ Bella Fiore's Mommy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
go to another vet immediately!! you need another professional opinion, this is NOT normal.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
As far as I know, there is no medical condition which causes an elevated body temperature as well as some kind of mental disorder. However, it's highly possible that your puppy is down with some kind of illness that is causing her discomfort and some kind of pain, leading to her irritability. I would get a second opinion.

What was her temperature when the vet took it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Her temp has only been 100.8 when I took her at 5 weeks. Since then every shots dates and mange dipping appointment, and UTI appointment she has always had a temp of 102.2-103.6. But he stated that it was due to the issues at the time. Though her last appointment, because she now has a hernia, there was not a systemic issue and she was still over 102.

I dont take it at home, but she can be in her crate sleeping and if I touch her she is hot. My 15 year old pit has never had anything like this.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
A normal dogs temperature (taken rectally) should be between 100.5 and 102.5 F (38-39.2 C).
Have you tried taking her temperature at home, when she is not under the stress of the veterinary office? "Feeling" hot by hand is not an accurate gauge.

As for the biting. Being that she was removed from her littermates at four weeks she had NO opportunity to learn bite inhibition. This puts you and her at a disadvantage over time..it takes a lot of work to teach a pup bite inhibition, even if they WERE with their littermates for the first 8-10 weeks of their life. Is the trainer you are working with giving you information on how to work on this at home? What methods are you using? (by the way, punishment only makes it worse..especially if she's an exciteable type of personality).

If you are concerned something is physically wrong with the pup, get a second opinion from another vet. Go the new vet armed with what you are feeding her, what her exercise is like and her previous health issues, including being removed from her mum pre weaning..these all can have effects on her immune system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts