Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a dog FOREVER and just bought a puggle puppy about 2 months ago. She is currently about 3.5 months old.

Shes fine around me, but when I take her on walks she keeps pulling on the leash.
How do I train her to stop pulling?

When she meets new people she likes to nip and bite them (non-aggressively)
How do I train her that's not ok?

When she meets other dogs, she tries to tackle them or bite them. This is when she seems the most aggressive, and I don't like it.
How do I stop this?

Should I get a shock collar and shock her when she is biting other dogs? With people, she has never bit anyone hard enough for them to be worried- but she has torn fur off of many dogs at the dog park and she seems aggressive towards them, not playful. Maybe I'm wrong and she thinks she's playing, but she needs to stop biting.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
DO NOT use a shock collar. That's a good way to teach your dog that other dogs really are scary.

There are a number of ways to teach your dog loose leash walking (LLW). The method I used was every time my dog started pulling, I stopped walking. When he released pressure, we continued. Rinse and repeat. That's typically called the "Be a Tree" method.

Another method is rewarding them for being in the correct position. You will want to start in a very boring place, like your living room. Reward the pup for walking nicely with you. When pup breaks position, lure him back to position with a treat. As he get better, you can move out to your yard, and then take it out on the streets.

I would look up videos by Kikopup or Zac George (spelling on his name?) that show you how to do it. Those helped me immensely.

When she starts nipping or biting people, have them stop interacting with her. After a few minutes, they can try again. She will learn that nipping people = people go away.

Nipping and roughhousing are normal dog play behaviors. My dog comes home with slobber marks on his scruff after playing with his friends. They typically aren't biting hard enough to hurt, just play. She may just be a rude puppy, which isn't unusual. Did she grow up with a litter? Sometimes if puppies were taken from their litter too early, they can lack bite inhibition and bite their playmates too hard. How to the other dogs react to her? Do they stop wanting to play with her, or do they continue playing? It's hard to say if its simply play or aggression without seeing it, but few 3.5 month old pups are aggressive.

Also, I would caution you bringing a puppy to a dog park. Not only are they full of disease (I hope you didn't bring her before her vaccinations were finished...) but there are often unknown dogs there with dumb owners who don't know how to spot a brewing fight. The thunderdome type parks are notorious for bad dog-dog interactions, and if your pup had a bad experience at her young age, she may never forget it and be afraid of other dogs for the rest of her life, or you may have to counter condition for years.

Instead, go to controlled puppy playtimes (some obedience clubs have them, pet stores like Petco) where someone who knows what they're doing is watching, or only play with known, friendly dogs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
it all starts with you dont let her knaw on your hands even if she doesn't bite hard its no mouth no mouth no mouth it takes some time but its worth it my mouthy beagle mix was bad when i got him at 12 weeks he is 16 months now and we can have a good play fight and he just batts my hands with his mouth and we have a good time

1 - 3 of 3 Posts