Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone,

I hope that I can get some pointers on what to do here..

We have had Feya (french bulldog) for about three months now, she just turned 7 months yesterday and i wanted to discuss a few things about her recent behaviour and hope to get some insights on how to deal with it.

1. She always disliked going out for walks but this has gotten better with time, though it is still her least fav thing to do. She has now taken to escaping when I try to put her harness on. We have tried sit and stay all the while showing her fav treat but she has wisened up and now tries to escape even after seeing the treat.

2. She is still quite nippy, especially with my husband, though now she get a little nippy with me too. I think it is just attention but I need to know that this is just a phase.

3. She is now also very timid when we are out, as a puppy she was a little shy but never to the point where she ran away from people. It takes her a little time to come up to people who want to play with her.

Is there anyone out there experiencing the same or has so in the past? Would love to hear from you.

Many thanks

Feya's Mum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our Kikki (5.5 months) sounds a lot like Feya, but she's improved through lots of socialization. We have tried to have friends pop over a few times a week of an evening to get her used to different people.

I don't know if it operates where you are, but we have used Borrowmydoggy.com to meet local people who either have dogs that need walking or people who want to walk dogs. I try to take Kikki on joint walks or "puppy play-dates" once or twice a week. Her confidence improved immensely when we started doing this.

She still has days where she won't walk for the dog walker, or will just sit down, but we must allow for adolescence!

Does she react to loud noises like buses or rubbish trucks? If so, give her a treat when one goes past. Or if she's scared of people that want to pet her, give them some chicken to feed her. Kikki will do just about anything for chicken so we use it sparingly as a real super-duper mega treat!

Sometimes Kikki just sits and shakes a little in the park, so I'll get down to her level, give her a neck scratch and a treat and use a high playful voice to ease her anxiety. She often does this if there's a strange dog in the park, but now if I do the above and say "shall we say hello?' She'll start to go towards them wagging her tail.

It's tough having a nervous dog, but it'll improve I'm sure. Best of luck!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Try to find an obedience school that will take her. She needs socialization and impulse control. Nipping, aka biting, is not appropraite. What happens when its the eye of a child?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts